Jason
Jason, Mac Technician
Experience:  Several years of supporting Mac systems.
30759776

My iPhone 4S gives an error message "cannot connect to iTunes

My iPhone 4S gives an error message "cannot connect to iTunes Store."
I cannot go to my apps, iTunes or play music. All of these sites have the same message.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

XXXXX XXXXX :

Greetings,

Welcome to Just Answer.

My name is Jason and I will be the expert working with you today to help resolve your problem.

XXXXX XXXXX :

Are you receiving this error on your actual iPhone screen or on your computer?

Customer:

on my iPhone

XXXXX XXXXX :

Thank you for the update.

On your iPhone, please, do the following:
- Hit the Home button on the front of the iPhone
- Tap Settings > Apple Store > Sign Out
- Sign back in with your Apple ID

Verify that you can access the Apple Store now.

Customer:

I do not see a place to sign out on my phone

Customer:

Store gives me Automatic DEownloads (Music, Apps, Books which are OFF and will not turn on

XXXXX XXXXX :

After you tap Store, you do not see a sign out link?

Customer:

Correct

XXXXX XXXXX :

Okay

XXXXX XXXXX :

Go to "Top 25" and scroll down until you see a sign out option, then choose that.

XXXXX XXXXX :

First choose your account name, then choose sign out.

Customer:

Are you looking at the 4s phone?

XXXXX XXXXX :

What are you asking?

XXXXX XXXXX :

Please, do the following if none of that works:
- Plug the phone into your computer
- In iTunes, in the top menu bar, click Store > SIGN OUT
- Click the Sync button in iTunes
- Click the Store menu again, choose Sign in, and click the Sync button again.

Customer:

I am working on this, hold on

XXXXX XXXXX :

Thank you

Customer:

OK, I did all of that. My phone still has the error message

XXXXX XXXXX :

Does the iPhone indicate that it is connected to the Apple Store when you go to Settings > App Store?

Customer:

No, it still says it connot connect

XXXXX XXXXX :

Okay.

XXXXX XXXXX :

When you attempt to log in on the iPhone, does it allow you to enter the Apple ID username and password?

Customer:

Now I get a white screen and the signal for download. No error message

XXXXX XXXXX :

Did you already enter the APPLE ID and password?

Customer:

No, I couldn't get off of the blank page. It is the first thing that comes up and it will not let me do anything else

XXXXX XXXXX :

Please, help me understand what is going on. I am not there with you and cannot see what you see. Please, press both the Power button and the Home button on the iPhone at the same time for 10 seconds or until it resets.

XXXXX XXXXX :

When it resets, let go of both of the buttons.

XXXXX XXXXX :

Once it comes back up, please, attempt to log in once more.

Customer:

I have reset the phone. Where do you want me to log in? Is it under settings? I never log in to use my phone.

XXXXX XXXXX :

Yes, go to Settings > App Store and log in.

Customer:

My App Store screen as the options for automatic downloads

Customer:

No login option on this screen

XXXXX XXXXX :

Okay.

XXXXX XXXXX :

When you attempt to do anything on that screen, what happens?

Customer:

Nothing.. It just keeps loading

Customer:

Finally it says, connection error. Try again

XXXXX XXXXX :

Right now are you connected to the cellular network for Internet or to your own Wireless router?

XXXXX XXXXX :

Customer:

I am on my router, but the phone is also connected to the computer

XXXXX XXXXX :

I am asking if the phone is connected to your router wirelessly or if it is using the cellular network.

Customer:

It is a wireless connection from the router, but maybe I don't totally understand. We have a wiFi connection to a router

XXXXX XXXXX :

Okay.

XXXXX XXXXX :

Please, disconnect your iPhone from the wireless router.

XXXXX XXXXX :

You can do that by tapping Settings > Wifi > and tap your signal & disconnect

Customer:

My iPhone is only connected to the internet. So I am getting my connection through the computer. I'm sorry, I am not following.

Customer:

My phone is plugged into my computer.

XXXXX XXXXX :

Is your phone connected wirelessly to your wireless router? (true or false)

Customer:

The router connects to the computer and gets its information from a cable network. My phone is connected to the computer.

XXXXX XXXXX :

Okay.

XXXXX XXXXX :

I am asking you if the phone is connected to your wireless router for it's Internet.

Customer:

Maybe I don't understand your question about a wireless router. My router has cables and it is the source of the internet to our computers. My app store and itunes is on the computer and so yes, the router is my source, other than AT & T.

XXXXX XXXXX :

Sorry for the confusion.

XXXXX XXXXX :

On the iPhone, tap Settings > Wifi.

XXXXX XXXXX :

Does it appear that your phone is connected to ANY wireless networks?

Customer:

Yes, I have a router an IP address, subnet Mask, router number, DNS, IP Address says DHCP (as opposted to BootP or Static

XXXXX XXXXX :

Thank you.

XXXXX XXXXX :

Please, tap that signal and choose "FORGET"

XXXXX XXXXX :

Once that is complete, please, go back to the App Store and verify that it works.

Customer:

There is no place to tap FORGET

Customer:

OK, I found it.

XXXXX XXXXX :

Thank you.

XXXXX XXXXX :

After you 'forget it', please, attempt to access the App Store again.

Customer:

It is loading, so let's hope

XXXXX XXXXX :

Thank you.

Customer:

Well, this es exciting. I got into the store site. Thank you for your patience. so, it was all about the WiFi connection? What about the phone searching when I am traveling. I use this phone for business alot. Is it searches for a local WiFi do I accept it?

XXXXX XXXXX :

:)

XXXXX XXXXX :

The problem was with the wifi connection.

XXXXX XXXXX :

In the future, powering down the wireless router and powering it back up, may help.

XXXXX XXXXX :

Yes, you may click the Accept button now.

XXXXX XXXXX :

Thank you again for your time.

XXXXX XXXXX :

If you are satisfied, you may leave any feedback for me that you feel is appropriate.

Thank you,
- Jason

If you ever want to work with me as your expert in the future, you can bookmark/favorite the following site. You can do so by right clicking the following link and choose "Add to Favorites" or "Add as bookmark", if you do wish to save it: http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-theextraordinaire/

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX your fee! :)

XXXXX XXXXX :

You are very welcome :)

XXXXX XXXXX :

Thank you.

Customer:

signing off....have a good day

XXXXX XXXXX :

Thank you. I wish you the same.

Jason, Mac Technician
Experience: Several years of supporting Mac systems.