Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  OSX certified, many years experience supporting Apple Hardware & Software

Customer Question

I have first generation 2006 Mac Pro with 6GB ram and additional 1TB HD. It started not to wake up from sleep and then 3 days ago when I was playing youtube video - it froze... And not ONLY boots in SAFE mode... I tried to boot up from Intall disks but computer freezes them and asks to restart... I did all the test - cables, removing all hardware, repairing Disk in utility and etc. I even cloned my startup disk and now I can boot up from external drive but also only in SAFE mode...
I also removed all items from Startup folder and have only 1 Account with no application starting at startup...
Basically I performed everything that people were suggesting online and been doing it for 20+ hours...
Please help?
Thank you
Category: Mac
Expert:  Steve Herrod replied 4 years ago.

Steve Herrod :

Hi Phil,

Steve Herrod :

have you already tried zapping the PRAM?

Steve Herrod :

Let me know and I'll advise further

Steve Herrod :

and also - you mentioned Disk Utility and repairing, were permissions also repaired?

Customer : Hi yes zapped the pram, Disk utility said HD appears to be ok and repair successfully . But permissions still are shown there like a list of about 12 things that pop up
Steve Herrod :

Apologies for delay in replying to this, there seems to be a few issues with notifications at present

Steve Herrod :

what comes up when you try to repair permissions?

Steve Herrod :

I'd also try to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) as well if possible -

Steve Herrod :

1. If the computer is on, turn it off.

2. Disconnect the AC Adapter and remove the computer's battery.

3. Press and hold down the power button for 5 seconds and then release the button.

4. Reconnect the battery and AC Adapter.

5. Press the Power button to restart the computer.