Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

evening, I have a flashing finder window that has turned into

Customer Question

evening, I have a flashing finder window that has turned into the apple symbol. A back up disk started me up to the choose a disk to restart, there was not a second choice after the disk. An apple disk for 10.5 did not open any pages.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

We can try some basic troubleshooting steps and see if that works or not.

Reset PRAM and NVRAM (Solution 1)

1. Shut down your Mac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys.

Restart in Safe mode
(Solution 2)
Make sure that the computer is shut down. Press the power button. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator. Let the Mac boot up...

Run Disk Utility in Single User Mode(Solution 3)
Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and this time hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. Then type the following command...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsck - fy then type only fsk - fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up. (Disk Utility will fix all system errors, bad preferences files etc)

Let me know if that didn't worked. Only click Accept after we solved the problem

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
evening,

I got very busy. The three solutions did not work. The apple comes up now when I turn it on, but not the progress monitor. The screen is gray with the apple. I got the three chimes for one. Its a ibook G4
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Sorry for the delay..do you have the Mac OS X installation discs ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Morning,
I have a set of 10.6 for my desktop. I probably can find another older set. The back up I not sure of the DS.
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
What version of Mac OS X are you using ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
10.5
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Have you tried reinstalling your Mac OS X?
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
You can reinstall your Mac OS X. Just insert the Mac OS X 10.6 disc, restart your Mac and hold down the C key on your keyboard. This will boot into the disc, once it booted into disc then follow the onscreen instructions to reinstall your OS X.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
evening,

I got to the first aid and it says Error:filesystem verify or repair failed.
invalid node structure
rebuilding catalog B-tree
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Sorry for the delay....It seems like the partition of your hard disk is corrupted. Do you have the backup of your files ? If so, you can erase the hard drive with Disk Utility and then install Mac OS X.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
trying the erase
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Let me know how it goes...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
evening ,

I got to the erase page . It started and then after the first pass it showed a dark grey restart page and shut off. It stated it would take 14 hours so I left for it to work. I walked through this twice and used lesser erase options. It won't let me restart by holding down the start button. Its charging but the green light doesn't turn red when its low battery. I saw the disk on the disk utility page, but no disk presents at reboot.
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Sorry for the delay...We are in different Time Zones and that is why delay in responses.Turn off your Mac and also unplug the battery. Wait 20 minutes and reconnect everything and turn it back on. Boot into the disc and open Disk Utility. Does it shows the HD now ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
morning,
Its the same. In the disk utility -first aid page you see the Fijitsu mht20, select a destination oage. Also the chime was different- more bass, all came up the same.
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Boot into the disc again, click on Utilities menu and select Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, what can you see in the left column ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
55.9 GB Fijitsu mht20
MATSHITA CD-RW CW
MAC 0S X INSTALL DVD
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Select the "55.9 GB Fijitsu mht20" click on Erase tab and click Erase button. The close it and continue installation.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Evening,
I have tried the erase and install.The short erase has brought the select destination box. I tried the install afterwards over five times. E ach time there was some reason for not installing.
Could't validate
Couldn't read the disk software
Couldn't read because of an error
no software could be found to install
it will not let me use a 10.6 install disk at all. it reverts back to the flashing file. can I use the Internet server to download the needed software? the install disk 10.5 is a back up copy.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I had napple hardware test disk. For an iBook. The extended test said was an error in the mass storage

2stf/4/3:ata-100ata-6-master
Won't accept disk warrior or norton
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Sorry...It seems like the hard drive of your Mac is failed, that is why it is showing the error. You have to take it to the Apple Store to get it fixed or replaced. We've already tried all troubleshooting steps so far and this is something we can't fix online.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
You're most welcome !