Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience:  worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products
51110040

have just tried to sync a newipod nano using the download suggested

Customer Question

have just tried to sync a newipod nano using the download suggested in the information provided with the unit
Now have the message 'the file ITunes library ITL cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of ITunes'
How do I recover ?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

Thank you for the question. In order to resolve this issue, you will want to install the latest version of iTunes on your machine. You can download the latest version of iTunes by clicking here.

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ben

Have done as you suggested but it only repeated the instruction given in the installation instructions with the Ipod so Istill have the same message

Itunes library ITL cannot be read because it was created ona newer version of Itunes.

What next?

Dave.

Expert:  Vinod Menon replied 2 years ago.
Hello Dave,

If reinstalling iTunes did not resolve the issue, then we need to recreate the iTunes library. Don't worry, it will not delete anything from iTunes. But we need to do it perfectly.

In most cases the songs are stores in start - music.

Let's go to start - music - iTunes - iTunes media.

Do you have all the songs saved there?

Thank you
Vinod
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry Vinod I cant be making the situation clear.After following the start up instructions that came with my ipod and down loading the latest version found on www.itunes.com/download the only message I can get is the one I have previously. It seems this is the only interaction I have with Itunes within my computer enviroment so I cant follow your suggestion.

Dave

I understand...

Do you have any content already in iTunes? If not, it is easy to solve this issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

iTunes holds all my music and photos
Much of this collection is irreplaceable so please be careful if it helps in anyway my iPad also holds the library
Ok.

First of all we need to know where your music is stored.

Go to start - music - iTunes - iTunes media.

Are all your songs in there?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dear Vinod

It seems I must be doing some thing wrong or we are just not understanding each other All my attempts to get into itunes result in hitting the wall with the same message 'the file Itunes library ITL cannot be read because it was created on a newer version of Itunes

Im not technicaly competent but it seems to me that it may be that I have downloaded a version of Itunes that is more current than the one available on the web. Is this possible?

Dave.

Hello Dave,

You are not looking into the right location.

We don't want to open iTunes now.

Instead, there is a start button to the bottom left corner of the computer (it could be a windows logo in circle if you are using windows vista/7.). Click on that. Now click on "music" (or my music) there.

A window will open. There you will have an iTunes folder. Open it. Now open "iTunes media" folder.

There your songs would be located. Let me know if you have it all there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

now I see what you mean and yes the media folder has my music

Now let's do this.

Go to start - all programs - iTunes

There, do you see two files named "iTunes music library" and "iTunes library"?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes I have them
Let's drag the file "iTunes music library" to the desktop. And then drag the "iTunes library" file to the recycle bin.

Let me know once it is done
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
done
Now let's open iTunes in the computer. You should be able to open it now. Let me know once you have opened it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Its asking me if I want to download I tunes 10.6.1

Do I?

No need now. Just hit cancel.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
done think message my be being confused with same onr word message sent at 1.29am or am I being impatient?
Not sure what you mean..:(

Anyway, are you able to open iTunes now? If you are, we will add the songs to it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes can open Itunes now lets find my music

dave

Open iTunes. Now click on file menu at the top ( where it shows file, edit, view etc)Click on file - library - import playlist and select the "iTunes music library" file we dragged to the desktop earlier.
Did that add the songs back?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No I've come at it every way I can think of but all I get is a new set of headings in Itunes but no music.

Let's try it again

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No all I get at each attempt is new headings
When you click on music to the left of the iTunes, all you get is an empty page?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes all blank pages and its like each time I try the headings are recreated

Go to start - music - iTunes. Drag the iTunes media folder from there into the blank area in the iTunes application
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
media file is now in the margin at bottom of page
You dragged it to a wrong location.

Ok let's try it differently.

Open iTunes. Click on file menu at the top. Select file - add folder to library and select the "iTunes media" folder
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Brilliant all files available and have sync'ed to my Ipod well done and thank you my only broblem now is how to delete all the multipule headings I have created!!!
Great to know that...:)

Unfortunately, we have to manually delete those headings. Click on it and then on delete
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks thats what I expected

Thanks for your patience with a none tech old Australian

No problem.. Have a great day

Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience: worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products