Techie_Ben
Techie_Ben, Software Engineer
Experience:  10+ years in hardware/software experience
8287049

I had to get a new ipad today (broke my old one) how do I get

Customer Question

I had to get a new ipad today (broke my old one) how do I get the G3 service to switch from my old iPad to my new one? PLZ help me I am technology challenged :0
Category: Mac
Expert:  Techie_Ben replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

Thank you for the question. Apple provides a step by step article on enabling 3G on the iPad for both Verizon and AT&T. Which provider are you using?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am using 3G on At&t
Thanks for the quick reply. If you have the SIM card removal tool that came with the iPad, it should be as simple as putting the SIM card from the old iPad in to the new one. If you don't have the tool, you'll need to look for a small pin that will fit in the small hole to eject the SIM card. To remove the SIM card, just push the end of the SIM removal tool or small pin in to the small hole on the left side of the iPad. The SIM tray will come out and you will need to remove the chip and put it in to the new iPad. Please refer to the steps below from the Apple article HT4582.

How to transfer a cellular data plan from an iPad Wi-Fi + 3G that uses a SIM card

You can transfer plans by moving the SIM card from your existing iPad into the new iPad:

1. Turn off both devices:
    • Hold the Sleep/Wake button until "slide to power off" appears, and then slide to turn off your device.
  2. Eject the SIM tray from your original iPad using the SIM-removal tool that came with the original iPad. Remove the micro-SIM card from the tray.
  3. Using the SIM-removal tool that came with your new iPad, eject the SIM tray on the new iPad.
  4. Remove the micro-SIM card from the tray and replace it with the one from the original iPad.
  5. Reinsert the SIM tray into the new iPad.
  6. Place the SIM card from the new iPad into the original iPad's SIM tray and reinsert it into the original iPad.
  7. Turn on each iPad and connect to iTunes to reactivate if necessary.

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

They didn't give me the SIM card out of the old computer when they gave me the new one today. Is there anyother way of doing it?

If you swapped it out at the store then it probably already has your SIM card in it, however you may want to check to make sure there is a chip there. Otherwise, all you should have to do is follow the steps outlined here.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It only gets me part way through the setup screens and mine doesn't look like or have the same options on it.
Can you tell me where you're stuck?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

while you typing it let me proceed thru - also need to get everything that is in my itunes (music and games) onto the new pad can you help with that

Glad to hear. All you should have to do is plug your iPad in to your computer and allow iTunes to begin the sync process.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It looks like that is working also one other question is how do I get the books I purchased from Amazon to download again onto my new pad.
Glad to hear. If you're referring to the Kindle app on the iPad, all you should have to do is log on to your Amazon account from within the app. If you have issues after the sync is complete however, I would request that you create a new question to handle the Amazon issue separately.

Thank you. If you are satisfied with my response please accept my answer by pressing the green "Accept" button and leave positive feedback. It is the only way I am compensated for my time. I will also leave positive feedback for you. Bonuses are also greatly appreciated. Please feel free to request me on future questions by asking the question on my profile page (http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-techieben/). Thanks again!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does it seem right that it is saying the update will take 3 hours?
It depends on your internet connection. If you do not have a fast connection, the update is quite large and could take that long. I'd let it go unless you start to see errors.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It just keep stopping saying that I dont' have disc space but I know that is not true - I have a 64Gb and had all this stuff on my old pad. it is just so frustrating. I wish I had a tech bone in my body, HAHAHA
It is likely talking about disk space on your computer. When an Apple update is installed, it is first downloaded on to your computer and then copied to the iPad. Like you said, the iPad should be fine, but the computer seems low on space. In order to reclaim some space, you would need to uninstall existing programs or delete files that you do not need.

Were you able to get the 3G and sync working?