John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

My mac goes from.a white blank screen to a black blank screen

Customer Question

My mac goes from.a white blank screen to a black blank screen at stsrtup. How do I fix?
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

Can you tell me what version of OS X is installled on this Mac?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Mac osx snow leopard
"
Thanks. Do you have your OS X Install CD handy?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes
Great!

If you have trouble with the following, do not click "Accept" or rate this answer yet - just reply back for further troubleshooting.

Insert the OS X install CD.

Restart the computer and as soon as you hear the startup chime, press the "C" key to boot from the disc.

Choose your language and when you are sitting at the Introductory Installer screen, go up to "Utilities" and choose Disk Utility.

In the left hand sidebar, choose your Mac's Hard Drive.

On the right hand side of the page, click "Repair Disk"

If it finds errors, repeat the process until it reports the drive is OK.

Next, click "Repair Disk Permissions"

Once the process has completed, reboot your Mac and see if it will boot normally. If not, let me know by replying back here, and we will diagnose and troubleshoot further.

Thanks and good luck!

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Went black anyway
/
How far did you get in doing the above?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The disk is in and I restarted. When the screen went white I pressed tbe c key, and then after a while it turned black.
Okay.

Turn the computer completely off.

Power it back on and immediately hold the keys COMMAND-OPTION-P-R until you hear the startup chime at least TWICE, then let go.

See if there is any improvement.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Now jt says no bootable device Insert boot
disk and press any key.
Okay, please try the prior prcoedure with the boot disc again.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well I guess the boot disk is the same as the install disk. If so I am ok, if not I need to figure out how to get the disk out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well I guess the boot disk is the same as the install diskettes. If so I am ok, if not I need to figure out how to get the disk out.

Wait. It worked! Thank young
Is it booting normally now?