Steve Herrod
Steve Herrod, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  OSX certified, many years experience supporting Apple Hardware & Software
65126503

My law office converted to Apple products about a month ago.

Customer Question

My law office converted to Apple products about a month ago. After researching both the Apple cloud for business and Google cloud we choose the Google cloud. The problem we are having is accessing all the feature of Google docs and utilizing the google apps. Everytime I have a question or want to customize the system my IT independent contractor ( vey talented, but busy) takes a very long time to respond (2-3days) and charges a great deal to make what I believe a fairly simple adjustment (i.e. activating the "tasks" portion of my calendar. I can't do anything with the system without his involvement. I know Apple has a small business plan does google have anything similar.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Steve Herrod replied 4 years ago.

Steve Herrod :

Hi, I'll be happy to help with your question

Steve Herrod :

Thank you for the detailed description

Steve Herrod :

How many people are based in the office? Based on the details it sounds like you would be using the Google Apps for Business platform which would entitle you to use the Google Customer Support options as well (phone/email etc)

Steve Herrod :

Dependent on the circumstances it might be worth looking at certain users being given additional privileges on the Google system to easily deal with some day to day queries

Customer:

Is there a Google Customer support? I tried finding the support link and "just ask" seemed to by the response. Is the customer support equipped with dealing with the day to day issues?? Without a lot of computer background do you think we can handle most of the issues. One lawyer and 2.5 support staff.

Steve Herrod :

There is a Google Customer Support function available for Google Apps - they can deal with day to day issues or more severe problems as well if required

Steve Herrod :

Given the way Google Apps is setup then I think it's feasible for some of the elements to be self-managed

Steve Herrod :

and if submitting request to Google it might be helpful to have some levels of access as well

Customer:

The frustrating part is when I discover what I believe to a helpful app and I am left with a 2-3 day wait and told that the situation takes time and I am on a laying curve. Sometimes I want to purchase the app and experiment with it and see how effective it is. My IT person set up the goolge cloud will that be an issue???.

Steve Herrod :

I've set something similar up for a small office (1 Director and 2 Researchers) and it's been working well for the last 18 months

Steve Herrod :

Your IT person would need to confirm the details for the Google Apps logins/dashboard etc

Steve Herrod :

but I'm guessing the Google cloud functionality is registered to your Law Office?

Customer:

Ok how do I go about making this happening? Please provide a little guidance on what I am going to ask my IT person. I need to alert him that I need access yes??

Steve Herrod :

Yes, from what you've said he sounds competent but busy

Steve Herrod :

you'll need to ask him to confirm the Google Apps Dashboard details

Steve Herrod :

Technically there is no reason why you shouldn't have these but if he is concerned for some reason then as the business you should be the ones deciding which direction you need to go in

Steve Herrod :

Once you have access to the Google Apps Dashboard you can easily contact Google for support in addition to the existing contractor

Customer:

I agree he is very good but I feel handcuffed with every little question having to go through him. Ok I appreciate the guidance and insight.