Dustin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  4 Years in the US Military working with Mac's and networking equipment

My gmail account was accidentally linked to my wifes Android

My gmail account was accidentally linked to my wife's Android phone, and when we tried to sync my contact list via my gmail address to my new Android, it moved all her contacts to my old (iphone) as well as my new Android, and emptied her phone of contacts. She had about 100 contacts, and I had about 700 contacts which now cannot be found. Unfortunately I had not backed them up. Is it possible that they are somewhere in cyberspace or in a hidden file that I just can't find?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

Here is how to restore the gmail contacts you lost, ( and google contacts)

First, you want to remove your google account from your wifes phone, that way it doesnt re sync and wipe out your contacts.

All your wifes contacts are on your google account.. So your going to want to export them from google first.

Log into gmail, go to contacts, click more, click export.

Now export your wifes contacts to a file.

Then, follow these steps to restore your old contacts.

http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1069522

Once your contacts are restored again. The next time you sync, make sure that its not set so that the phone overwrites whats already stored on google.. You want to merge, not overwrite.

Good luck!

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I understand your instructions and have written them down and will proceed. I have contacted my wife who is now in another city, and she is in the process of having someone delete my gmail address from her phone (as she does not know how) I will be very happy to pay you, and must be sure that I can retrieve my numbers. If I pay you now and still need more follow up help to complete the process, are you still available? Please...this is crucial to my work
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
We can worry about payment at another time, when we have made some progress. ( if progress can be made) I dont invoice untill the end of the month, so plenty of time for payment.

For now, Lets just work through the steps needed. I understand that it may take some time on your part since your have a three way communication going on.

I would also like to say that I will do my best to respond to you immediately, but im not always online. If I dont respond right away, please be assured that I will respond as soon as I sign back in and see your message.

Thanks!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, That's fair, D. I appreciate your help and honesty. I will need about 20 minutes for my wife to delete my gmail from her phone, as she is getting some help. As per your instructions, I don't want to log on yet until I'm sure my gmail is out of her phone, so I need to wait a little bit. How do I reach you to let you know when I have completed the steps you advised?

Frederick

Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
You reach me the same way you have been Frederick,

Respond to me here on JustAnswer, or check your email for my replies, click the link inside those emails to log back into the website here and respond!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Should hear from home shortly, D. Then I will proceed with the steps. Prayerfully this will solve my problem. (I might even "tip" you :) )
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
This will be a many stepped process..

The key is, not losing her contacts, and not losing yours..

While your waiting to hear from her, you can still log into your gmail account, go to contacts, and export her contatcs. ( they will remain there even after you export)

We should do this to verify her contacts are still there, and live. ( and also, having a backup copy is important in case something is done on here end accidentally to clear out the rest of the contacts that are left on google!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, D. My account is officially out of her phone. Now I will proceed with the steps you gave me. I'll re contact you shortly
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Ok.. First..

lets focus on exporting the contacts. Take your time, and if you get stuck at all let me know where and how.

Thanks!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
D, I cannot find the "contacts" link in my email. I thought it would be along the side, but I don't see it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Neither she or I am worried about her contacts. They are mostly social and close family. Mine are mostly related to my job. Hers can be replaced. Getting mine back is the critical move
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Understood.

Ok.. View this picture when you are on a computer, and looking at your gmail inbox at gmail.com

graphic

Click gmail first, then click contacts second.

You will now be in the contact manager.

If her contacts are present here, its only a quick export to get them saved.

Before we do anything else, try the above steps and let me know if you can get to the contact manager or not.

Thanks!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK, I found the "contacts' as you directed me to, and the link you sent me told me to click "contacts" which I did, then it said, "restore contacts"...but I cannot find that prompt or link. Thank you for your patience. I think we are getting close!!

Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Ok..

Once your inside contacts..

Click more, at the top right right above your contact list

Once you click more, on the drop down list.. You will see restore contacts.

Now, choose a time frame that was Before your contacts were erased..

Then try to restore them.. Keep in mind, the restoration isnt instant.. It may take 10 15 minutes, maybe longer.

Let me know if you have issues finding these menus..

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
D, I got real happy for a minute, but then when I clicked "restore", it restored her numbers only. I tried deleting them again, and asking it to restore what was taken out yesterday, but it kept putting her numbers back. We don't need her numbers, which are only a little over a hundred.
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Ok..

Instead of choosing yesterday as a restore date..

Go back further.

choose custom on the restore date..

And go back four days..

( that should be well before her numbers were on the phone, right?)

Does that help or change anything at all?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, the confusion about her numbers in my phone only happened yesterday. I'll try going back further, as you suggested. Stay tuned...and thank you again
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Your welcome, Hopefully.. We see your contacts piling back in soon..

Standing by!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
should I just wait....or re-do the process?
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Did it reload any contacts?

At all?

For now.. Lets wait about 20 minutes.

Then, log out of gmail, and then log back in..

And then check contacts..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, Thanks D. It's 7:00 pm here in Chicago. I'll check again at about 7:20
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Sounds good, I just went through Chicago on my way to northern indiana five or six days ago..

I wont be online too much longer tonight, But I should be able to check back in for another message or two.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I understand...you have given me a lot of time. I respect your patience. This is very very important to me. hopefully you have just another 25 or so minutes. :) Btw, each time her contacts reappeared, I redeleted them. Will that act affect mine from reappearing? That's why I asked if I should re-do the process
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I know it's only been about 16 minutes, but not one of my contacts have come up yet....any thoughts before you have to go? Do you think I'm sunk?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I guess you have to be leaving now, D. Nothing worked. Are you still there?
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Im still here.. I had to step away for a moment..

Ok, if that didnt work.. How far back did you go, a few days.

Try restoring the contacts from a week back, or ten days..

hopefully, that works..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I anticipated your advice this time, and did that, but it still did not work. Is my goose cooked? Or do you have another idea for me?
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Apologies for the delay.

Your goose, "may" be cooked.

Before im willing to say that though, I want to make sure we havent left any stones unturned..

Your email account and contacts. Question. Before you lost your contacts were you using a program like outlook, outlook express, thunderbird, or any other emailk software ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No. I had said in my original question that I had not backed up my contacts in the computer, remember? But a computer was used in the effort to extract and move them from my old phone to my new one.
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Ok, if a computer was used to move them from old phone to new, we may have a copy stored on that computer.

Do you have access to that computer?

And also, another possible option, is some cell phone service providers back up contacts for you to their network. Who is your cell phone company currently?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
T-Mobile. And the computer that was used to export/import my numbers is accessible, but is in a store here in Chicago that I cannot get to right now. He actually looked for the files in his computer just in case, but could not find my numbers. After a whole day, we assumed that they are lost forever. That's why I contacted you, out of desperation, just in case we are wrong
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Smile....if I were a criminal,the FBI and CIA could retrieve all my numbers...they do it all the time...maybe I should ask them!!
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Tmobile..

That may be good news.. If you had some of the contacts set to a Tmobile contacts backup, we may be able to recover them.

We may have to check yoru Tmobile account online, but if you had any of your contacts set to sync to tmobile contact backups, then this may help restore some of them.

You should be able to go into

settings

accounts & sync

t-mobile

sync from there,

The other option is to log into your mytmobile.com account and click contacts under mobile life over on the right then click "click here to manage" then after it loads the interface you will see a sync now option.

Dustin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience: 4 Years in the US Military working with Mac's and networking equipment
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, D. I'm running late for an appointment now, but will try as you said later tonight when I return to the hotel. By the way, remember, I had failed to back up anything. But still, as you suspect, TMobile may have them anyway. The police always go to the carriers when they are trying to catch crooks and pedfiles. No joking
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Right, Thats why im hoping that Tmobile contacts backup, has some of them..

Will look for your message this evening, take care.