Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

CAn you help me transfer my MacBook Pros QuarkXpress 8 to

Customer Question

CAn you help me transfer my MacBook Pro's QuarkXpress 8 to my MiniMac that has Quark 7? The Quark directions are absolutely beyond understanding.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

Do you have the Quark 8 installation discs ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Quark told me I could do this online.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
How did you installed Quark on your MBP ? Did you downloaded Quark 8 from internet ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I did in June 2010.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Do you still have the serial number of your Quark 8 ? Because when you transfer Quark to other Mac, you may need to reactivate it with the serial number
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure where the Ser. No. is. Do you know how I can find it?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Don't you have the purchase confirmation letter from Quark ? It should have the serial number, please check your email for it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will check but am not sure I still have it. That was nearly two years ago. Let me look right now.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
If you haven't changed or deleted your emails, then it should be there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ashik, I have it. I wrote it down. It is: US412417358
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Great ! Now, do you have a external hard drive ? So we can start moving the Quark to your Mini.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I do not have an external hard drive.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay...Do you have a USB Flash Drive ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ashik, Are you there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I have a USB flash drive
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Okay...I will walk you through the steps. In your MBP, goto Applications folder and copy the Quark or QuarkXpress folder to your flash drive. Then connect the flash drive to your Mini and copy the Quark or QuarkXpress folder to your Applications folder. Let me know once you did that...

Only click Accept after we solved the problem

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to know how to accomplish this transfer. I do not know yet.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Did you got my last answer ? If not, please let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I am reading it .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, let me try that now.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Take your time :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I have never done this before.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ashik, I can NOT find the Quark folder/file in the Applications file. In fact, I can't find it on my hard drive anywhere.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
hmm...You can open QuarkXpress on your MBP. Right ? Have you tried searching Quark with Spotlight searchbox ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I can open. I use it every day. On my desktop I have QuarkXPress 8 downloads. Does that help?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
What files can you see in the "QuarkXPress 8 downloads" folder ? Did you searched Quark with Spotlight ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What I'm seeing in the Quark downloads site is basically a promotion for Quark 8, you know to buy it, how much it costs, how much an upgrade costs, different categories for what Quark 8 can do. That's about it. I will check the Spotlight now
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Spotlight will find the location of Quark folder
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, entered Quark 8 in spotlight and somehow it found it in Applications where I could not. Anyway, I clicked on it and a box appeared titled "QuarkXpress Version 8" and in the box was a list of the files I've created using it and categories for Create and Resources. Is this what you're looking for?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
No. We need to the copy the Quark folder where it contains the Quark application. It should be saved under Applications folder as default. Can you search thoroughly in Applications folder for the Quark ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me try again. Can you think of any other place it might be? Let me look in Applications again.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Nope...Every application you install goes to the Applications folder.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I FOUND IT !!! OK, now what do you want me to do?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Copy that whole folder to the flash drive

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please stay on the line while I try this.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
No Problem :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ashik, I started the copying process and got an answer there wasn't enough space on the flash. The flash is 1 gig. but there are other files on it it. How much space do I need? Will I need to purchase a larger flash?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
1Gb will not be enough because the Quark folder must be big that your flash drive can't handle. I'd recommend you to buy a external hard drive, so you can also backup your files to it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I will get external drive, I know I should have one anyway. So after I get it and copy the Quark onto it, then I attach to the Mini Mac and copy it to the Applications folder of the Mini's hard drive, correct?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Yes. Then you have to copy the QuarkXPress folder from Macintosh HD>Users > your username>Library>Preferences folder to the exact location of your Mini

Then on your Mac Mini, open System folder inside the QuarkXPress folder (in Applications). Run the QuarkXPress Components application and follow onscreen instructions to reinstall the Quark components. Then open Quark application. Let me know if that didn't worked..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This sounds very complicated. Let's say I try this and get stumped. CAn I contact Ask again and not be charged for this as I am still working on the same question? This is very foreign to me; I am not a tech person.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Yes. Add a bookmark of this page, so you can get back to me anytime you want without paying again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I've copied the bookmark. I'll see what I can do about an external disc. I don't want to spend a fortune. Thanks for your help. I'll get back to you if I get stuck.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
No Problem..

Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi John, Please reply back here...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ashik, I am here
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Did you transffered the Quark folder to your Mini ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I loaded the Quark folder onto my USB flash drive but I have not done anything else. I am confused about the directions you gave me.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Connect the Flash Drive to your Mac Mini. Then copy that Quark folder from the flash drive to the Applications folder of your Mini. Let me know...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I will but what about the other instructions you provided? Here they are:

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
I will walk you through the steps. First copy the Quark folder and let me know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I have copied the Quark folder to the Applications folder of the Mini Mac, it is loading at this second copying items.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ashik, the Quark folder has successfully loaded into the Mini Mac Application folder
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Okay...Great. Now, connect the flash drive to your MBP. In your MBP, goto Macintosh HD>Users > your username>Library>Preferences folderand copy the QuarkXPress folder to your flash drive. Let me know...

Macintosh HD is your hard disk, Users, your username, Library and Preferences are the names of folders inside your Macintosh HD

No need to Accept the answer again..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ashik, ok, this is what I have done so far.

1. copied the Quark folder from Applications in my MBP onto the USB flash drive.
2. put the USB flash drive into the Mini Mac
3. copied the Quark Folder into the Mini Mac's hard drive -- Applications folder. It has not copied 1.25 GB of 1.61GB about 3 minutes left.

Am I doing it right so far
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Yes..Let it copy completely...and let me know once you did that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, good it has copied completely.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Now, connect the flash drive to your MBP. In your MBP, goto Macintosh HD>Users > your username>Library>Preferences folder and copy the QuarkXPress folder to your flash drive. Let me know...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I believe I have done that. What now?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Then on your Mac Mini, open System folder inside the QuarkXPress folder (in Applications). Run the QuarkXPress Components application and follow onscreen instructions to reinstall the Quark components. Then open Quark application

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, so you want me to return to the MacMini , go to Applications and open it up so I will find the system folder. And then load what I just got onto the USb and load it onto the system folder.

Ashik, PLEASE remember I don't know the terminology. It's like a foreign language.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Ok, so you want me to return to the MacMini , go to Applications and open it (Quark folder) up so I will find the system folder - Yes correct

Then in System folder, you will find the QuarkXPress Components applicatio. Just open it up..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I clicked on the Quark folder but when it opened there was nothing there. So I then copied the system folder to the Required Components folder of the HD. Is that correct?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Empty ? It is not supposed to be empty...No. Can't you find anything in the QuarkXpress folder in Applications folder of your Mac Mini ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought you were talking about the Quark folder I got from . . . I can't explain now. I am too confused. Are we dealing with TWO Quark folders? One from the Applications and another from the Preferences folder?

The QuarkXpress folder in the Applicatons of the Mini Mac does have items in it. It does have a folder called "Required Components." Is that what you want?

Ashik are we on the same page? I am totally confused.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
I know its kinda confusing. There are two Qurak folder. One in Applications folder and oter in Preferences folder.

I'm talking about the Quark in the Applications folder.
The QuarkXpress folder in the Applicatons of the Mini Mac does have items in it. It does have a folder called "Required Components." Is that what you want? Yes. That is the correct one. Open it up and install it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But where do you want me to install it?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Does it shows any options or locations ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am looking at the Required Components folder into which I have placed Quark. There are four folder -- dictionaries, fonts, profiles, and Quark. Also inside that Required Components folder are various icons representing functions like color manager, cool blends, EPS filder JPEG filter, spell checker , stuff like that.

I see nothing about options or locations? Am I in the correct place?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Yeah..Isn't there any application named QuarkXpress Components there ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO, Ashik, I am so confused with all this talk about two Quark folders and where they should be I can hardly answer your questions. This is ALL NEW to me. I have never done this before. I don't understand the terminology and now I have sent two Quarks from my MBP to my Mini and I don't even know if they are in the correct location.

I do not see any application called QuarkXpress components. There is a required components folder INSIDE the Quark Folder in Mini Mac applications that I put there. But no instructions.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
You did everything correctly. No worries...Now, open Quark application and does it opens ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The QuarkXpress 8 opens. Inside are folders titled color, documents, help, Qlog, scripts, Third party technologies, Xtensions, Xtensions disabled and Required Components. There are also what looks like indiviauls pages with weird sounding titles.

That is where I am right now. What next?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Open the QuarkXpress application from Quark folder in Applications folder. Does the application opens ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I said, I opened the QuarkXpress 8 folder in Applications and it does open and contains the folders and other pages that I named in our last message.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
In your MBP, open Applications folder and open Quark folder. What can you see there ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The very same folders and pages that are now on the Mini Mac that I took from the MBP.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
In your MBP, how do you open Quark ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I go to the HD icon, click on it, go to Applications, it is in Applications.

Ashik, I think I may have skipped a step awhile ago. I did some exploring while waiting. This is what I did: macintosh HD ,users, john lusk, I think I screwed up and didn't do that. Perhaps that explains our probem now.

Do you understand why I'm telling you? I think I skipped it before or didn't do it correctly.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Ok..Can you start from scratch again ? Delete the Quark folder from Mac Mini, both from Applications and Preferences folder and start over. Let me know how it goes...
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Copy Quark folder from Applications folder of your MBP to the Applications folder of your Mac Mini

Copy Quark folder from Preferences folder of your MBP to the Preferences folder of your Mac Mini

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ashik, deleted Quark from Applications. Used spotlight to (I think) remove it from preferences. I THINK !!
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Now, this time copy it correctly from your MBP to your Mini
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you mean the Quark folder from Applications in the MBP to Applications in the Mini?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Yes..Yes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I have done that. NOw loading.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Now, open Quark application on your Mac Mini. Does it loads ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NOt done yet. The Quark folder is now loading into Applications. About two minutes to go.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Okay..let it complete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is now completed.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Can you open Quark application now ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you mean the one I just installed on the Mini?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
The one you copied, Quark 8
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I have opened it.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Is it opening ? Are you getting any errors ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No errors. It has opened. What I see are folders: color, documents, help, qlog, REquired components, scripts, third party technologies, Xtensions, Xtensions disabled AND the QuarkXpress Logo and some pages.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
No..No, not that folder. Can't you find a Quark application file in there ? There is supposed to be a Quark application.....How do you open Quark 8 application on your MBP ? Can't you open like that on your Mini ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In my MBP HD-Applications-QuarkXpress when I open it this is what I see: color. documents, help, Qlog, Required Componens, scripts, Third Party Technologies, Xtensions, Xtensions disabled and some pages with weird names. That is what I see on my MBP when I open QuarkXpress 8.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
We're almost there. Now we only need to run the Quark application.

So, on your Macbook Pro what do you normally do to open the Quark application and use it ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On the bottom of my screen there are various icons representing things the MBP can do. There is a Quark icon there. I just click on that and when it opens on the screen it gives me options as to what kind of document I want to create.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
We need to find the location where that Quark icon in the dock leads to. In your MBP, search Quark in Spotlight and does it returns anything ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am looking now . . .
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I used the spotlight and all it showed me was what we already know -- that the Quark 8 program is in Applications and it showed a folder icon which when I clicked on it, led me to the same page I've already told you about. I think it just leads back to the Quark folder in applications. When I installed it two years ago I think it gave me an option to dock it.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
The icon in the dock is just a shortcut. The original app is somewhere on your HD. Can you search all subfolders in the Quark folder in Applications folder for the Quark application ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, let me do that now.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
If nothing worked, download Quark 8 on your Mini from here : http://8.quark.com/evaluation.htm

Then use your serial number to activate to trial version

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Ashik, I'll give it a try. Sorry this didn't work . Perhaps Quark planned it this way so people couldn't transfer systems without them knowing it.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Actually this is not the correct way to transfer, but this is our only choice since you don't have the installation discs. Let me know how it goes..And I'm trying my best to help you :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks, I will click on that link. Remember, no discs because I installed online.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
By discs, I meant the original installation/setup files. Good Luck with that !