CompExpert
CompExpert, Mac Specialist
Experience:  Apple Desktop/Laptops with 8 years exp. Apple Certified
63903440

Recently I had to have a new screen installed in my MacBook

Customer Question

Recently I had to have a new screen installed in my MacBook Pro (silver keyboard) About the same time my Microsoft Word 2008 documents are not attaching as a word doc. Looks fine on my end and I can save to a flashdrive but not attach anything that recipients can open or read. Any suggestions? I have checked preferences and options but don't see anything unusual.

Should I re-install the program? I have done all recent updates thinking that might be the problem. Still continues.
Category: Mac
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

Before re-installing the program, let's refresh your preferences file.

Close Word.

Run Finder, go to:
~/Library/Preferences/ (~ is your home directory).
Drag com.microsoft.Word.plist to the trash, then run Word and re-try to attach to an email.

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If you are referring to system preferences in the apple icon drop down menu, when I click on system preferences, I don' see any options like you suggested; just a list of icons. How do I get there?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I put the ~ into the search box of finer and when I typed in the /Library/Preferences nothing is located or found there.
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
You need to open Finder - it is an icon on your Dock.

Finder looks like this:

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK I have that open but I don't see the com.microsoft file
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Navigate to the Library/Preferences folder. Do you see it now?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, I have it open and found the file you suggested it put in the trash . . . . nervous about doing that but will try it.
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
It won't cause any damage, the file will be re-created when you start word.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well, this didn't work I did exactly what you suggested and sent myself an attachment to my work email. Still unrecognizable. Do you think I have a virus? What should be the next step? This is very awkward to work through this email response. Is there any phone number I can call for tech support to your service?
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
I will forward the question back to the expert pool. As soon as another expert picks up the question, you will be notified.

Please do NOT answer this question, since it will lock it and prevent other experts from answering.

J.
Expert:  CompExpert replied 4 years ago.
hi,
where did you go to update your microsoft office 2008?

did you used apple menu ---->>> software update or going to microsoft website?

try microsoft website --->>> http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads

update start with service pack 1

after update reboot your computer and try your attachment again

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did exactly as you suggested; sadly, my problem still exists. Any other solutions? I am heading to bed but will return tomorrow.
it might be on the received end problem.

try to do a test.

if you have another email address, send an attachment to that email address and see if it workout.

let me know if the problem still exists