Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

macbook pro - apple logo and spinning wheel for over an ho

Customer Question

macbook pro - apple logo and spinning wheel for over an hour.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

We can try some basic troubleshooting steps and see if that works or not.

Reset PRAM and NVRAM (Solution 1)

1. Shut down your Mac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys.

Restart in Safe mode
(Solution 2)
Make sure that the computer is shut down. Press the power button. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator. Let the Mac boot up...

Run Disk Utility in Single User Mode(Solution 3)
Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and this time hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. Then type the following command...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsck - fy then type only fsk - fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up. (Disk Utility will fix all system errors, bad preferences files etc)

Let me know if that didn't worked. Only click Accept after we solved the problem

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks Ashik

Just tried all 3 and still same problem. any more ideas?

Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
What version of Mac OS X are you using ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Latest I think - the macbook pro is 4 months old.
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Then it should have the Mac OS X Lion. I want you reinstall your Mac OS X Lion. Reinstalling won't remove any files from your Mac, it will just replace the system files with new one. Follow the instructions in here : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Its just installing now. Are you sure it won't lose any of my files?
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Yes. Reinstalling won't delete any of your files and also that is your only option to solve this problem

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Still struggling with the spinning wheel on the grey screen. Guess I need to take it to the apple store?

thanks very much for trying

Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Does it still there after reinstalling Lion ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes. I'm going to leave it an hour to see if if it resolves otherwise take it to the apple store.

Any other ideas?

Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Yes, but that is erase and install which will remove everything from your Mac and install fresh OS X. I guess you don't want to do that...

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sadly, I wasn't able to resolve my problem with your solution so will be taking it to the Apple Store to resolve on thursday. Thanks for trying.
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Sorry I couldn't solve your problem...:(