Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

Having trouble re configuring my Brother HL2170W printer to

Customer Question

Having trouble re configuring my Brother HL2170W printer to print over newly secure wifi channel. Can you help?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

Try restarting your WiFi router, let me know if it shows up.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did that.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
OK are you sure your WiFi network SSID is not hidden? Can you see it in the list on the Mac when you go to the Airport icon?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. ThisUser 502
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Is the WiFi network 802.11 b/g compatible? If so unplug ther printer from power for a few minute then try it again.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. ThisUser 502

Ok. Giving it a try.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
k
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No luck
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Did you setup the network are you sure b/g compatibility is turned on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think it is but how to I check. (Linskys)
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
I would have to look up the manual. What model? I would first try downloading the latest setup software for your system instead of using the software on the disk:

http://www.brother-usa.com/downloads/default.aspx?PGID=2#.T6AWBe3ZBUE
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
WRT54G
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
OK try the software first. Let me know
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
New download requires a computer restart. That means We'll disconnect
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Bookmark this page.
I
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok. Give it a try.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Let me know. In the setup for the router under:

Wireless Network

The basic settings for wireless networking are set on this
screen.
Wireless Network Mode From this drop-down menu,
you can select the wireless standards running on your
network. If you have both 802.11g and 802.11b devices
in your network, keep the default setting, Mixed. If you
have only 802.11g devices, select G-Only. If you have
only 802.11b devices, select B-Only. If you do not have
any 802.11g and 802.11b devices in your network, select
Disable.

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What to do after restart? Printer still not printing
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Accept Answer button pushed by accident. Still waiting for further help.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
???
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
You Relisted so I was not notified. Did you try connecting it to the network again using the new setup software?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'll try.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
OK let me know
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Looks like we have lift off. The print cue just emptied. I'm trying a single document to be sure. Looks like it is printing! Finally! thanks for the help!
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Great!!