Jason
Jason, Mac Technician
Experience:  Several years of supporting Mac systems.
30759776

I plugged my iphone into my macbook this morning and i clicked

I plugged my iphone into my macbook this morning and i clicked "restore settings." Now I can't find my photos or videos. I had icloud turned and photo stream turned on.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

XXXXX XXXXX :

Greetings,

Welcome to Just Answer.

My name is Jason and I will be the expert working with you today to help resolve your problem.

XXXXX XXXXX :

You may be able to restore your iPhone from a backup, within iTunes.

Customer:

Ok. Thanks.

XXXXX XXXXX :

You can right click your iPhone in iTunes, choose "Restore from backup", choose a restore time, and restore to that time.

Customer:

how do i do that?

Customer:

On my ipad? or Macbook?

XXXXX XXXXX :

If you wish, I can remote into your Mac and help you do this.

XXXXX XXXXX :

On the Macbook.

Customer:

1 problem...my macbook has run out of battery and i am at work and have no way of getting into it

XXXXX XXXXX :

Okay.

Customer:

Wait..i may have just lied. It might have some juice.

XXXXX XXXXX :

Oh okay.

Customer:

ok it has power

XXXXX XXXXX :

Okay

XXXXX XXXXX :

It will need a good 10 or 20 minutes of charge.

XXXXX XXXXX :

May I remote in?

Customer:

definitely has that

Customer:

has 2 hours

Customer:

yes

XXXXX XXXXX :

Great

Customer:

do i have to plug in my iphone to it?

XXXXX XXXXX :

Yes

Customer:

ok. done

Customer:

do you need any info from me? passwords?

XXXXX XXXXX :

On the Macbook, please go to the following link: http://tinyurl.com/86m29z5

XXXXX XXXXX :

And allow that to run.

Customer:

done

XXXXX XXXXX :

Thank you

XXXXX XXXXX :

I was connected.

XXXXX XXXXX :

It seems that I am not connected anymore.

Customer:

it looks like the computer shut down. I am rebooting it

XXXXX XXXXX :

Thank you.

Customer:

ok. back up. do i have to put in the address again?

XXXXX XXXXX :

Yes, please.

Customer:

it keeps shutting down on me for some reason. I am sorry. I don't know what to do

XXXXX XXXXX :

The battery perhaps, is not so charged.

XXXXX XXXXX :

Do you wish to continue this at a later time, when you have access to the laptop charger?

Customer:

It sys I have over an hour

XXXXX XXXXX :

Okay.

Customer:

can you give me instructions on what to do ?? it does not seem to want to stay on. :(

XXXXX XXXXX :

Okay

Customer:

If i had photstream turned on and icloud backup on they have to be somehwere right??

XXXXX XXXXX :

Once it is up and running:

Open iTunes, plug your computer into the Mac, right click your iPhone in iTunes, choose "Restore from backup", choose a restore time, and restore to that time.

XXXXX XXXXX :

It depends on i you had iCloud setup to sync.

Customer:

I believe I did because all my photos are on my ipdad.

Customer:

STUPID QUESTION...how do you right click??

XXXXX XXXXX :

Oh okay

XXXXX XXXXX :

You can CTRL click.

XXXXX XXXXX :

Hold down the CTRL button and click, this will "right click"

Customer:

ok. I will try to boot up again.

XXXXX XXXXX :

Thank you

Customer:

I have to go to a meeting now so I will have to try later. I guess I will have to just come back later if I can't do it. Is this chat saved for me to reference??

XXXXX XXXXX :

Yes, it is saved.

XXXXX XXXXX :

You can come back to this page or click the link that was sent to your email if you need to continue communication with me.

Customer:

so it gives me a date of 12/11/11.

Customer:

as the last back up date

XXXXX XXXXX :

Okay...

XXXXX XXXXX :

May I remote into it?

Customer:

it just shut down again!

XXXXX XXXXX :

Okay.

XXXXX XXXXX :

I suggest you wait until you get the charger for the Mac.

Customer:

does that mean thats the last date it was backed up?

XXXXX XXXXX :

Yes

XXXXX XXXXX :

However... if you were backing up to iCloud, your items may still be recoverable.

XXXXX XXXXX :

You can log into iCloud at the following page and see for yourself: https://www.icloud.com/

Customer:

ok. i will try that too.

XXXXX XXXXX :

Thank you

Customer:

when I get to this icloud website what should I do?

Jason, Mac Technician
Experience: Several years of supporting Mac systems.