Vinod Menon, Support Specialist
Experience:  worked as a Tech support Associate for Apple products
51110040

I moved my itunes music library to another location because

I moved my itunes music library to another location because it was getting too big. Somehow I have managed to lose the link and itunes cannot find the music now
Category: Mac
Expert:  Vinod Menon replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

Where have you transferred the music to? Is it to a different drive in the computer or to an external drive?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
external hard drive
Thank you.

Let's open itunes in the computer. Now click on Edit menu at the top (where it shows File, Edit, View, Controls, Store etc).

Click on Edit > Preferences > Advanced. There, the current itunes media folder location would be listed.

Where is it pointing to? To the external drive or to the C drive?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I changed it to point to the external drive using the Edit/preference/advanced option and did the file/organise library/consolidate.... that seemed to work.

Then the problem was I noticed that there were itunes control files still on the Cdrive and I tried to move them to the external in the itunes folder.... that's when the link got lost.

The itunes folder is now in two places but the music folder (in the external drive) cannot be found even though the 'location' is correct.
Let's try this. Click on accept only after your issue is resolved.

Let's try to play a song. If it is asking for the location, click on "locate", just navigate to the external drive and find the song in the drive.

Let's see whether it resolves the issue with all the songs.

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
itunes does not know where the music is so how can I play a song?
Did you mean the song names itself are not showing up in itunes (the library is empty)?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes, all that is showing up is a couple of sample songs. ...but when I check the location in the preferences menu, it is still pointing to the new location.
No problem. Do you have all the songs in your external drive?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes.... over 10 GB
Ok. Let's add them again into itunes.

Just click on File menu at the top (where it shows file, edit, view etc).

Click on File > Add folder to library, and select the songs folder.

Let's see whether this adds everything back to the itunes.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks a lot, that did the trick. They are physically on the external drive but now itunes can find them.

Another question, there are now three folders called "automatically add to itunes" (due to my trying to move files about). Where should this folder be located and what does it do actually? which two should I delete and which one to keep?
Unfortunately, I am also not sure which of the "automatically add to itunes" folder to be deleted.

The following document may give an idea.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3832
Don't delete any of the folders, as there is no way to decide which is the correct one.

Usually, when you add any music files into the automatically add folder, they are automatically added to the itunes. So the folders will usually be empty if you have not added anything to it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK.... thanks for your help.
bye now.
You are welcome...:)