miketaylor2008
miketaylor2008,
13888338

we have a wireless keyboard is usually connected to our PC

we have a wireless keyboard is usually connected to our PC via Windows XP; a book was left on the keyboard for a few minutes, and now it does not respond at all; we have shut down the PC and rebooted; have changed the batteries in the keyboard; it still does not respond at all; the wireless mouse is working...

TaylorTech :

Hiya, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I've been repairing and upgrading computers for over 10 years, I will help you to the best of my ability.

TaylorTech :

Good evening, how are you?

Customer:

a little frustrated with hubby! ha!

TaylorTech :

Hahaha, you have confirmed you are human!!

TaylorTech :

Now, you left a book on the keyboard for a few mins and now the keyboard doesnt work correct?

TaylorTech :

Is it showing any signs of life at all?

Customer:

hubby did; this is the simple answer; have more info if you want it but complicated...

TaylorTech :

My wife does that too :-) Blame the husband hahaha

TaylorTech :

Yes if I can have as much info as I can

TaylorTech :

Every detail that you have

Customer:

okay, here goes: he has a MacBook Pro laptop that runs snow leopard; we have a VMware on loaded on it so he can switch to Windows XP; he also has a wireless keyboard from Apple (and a wireless mouse) that he uses too (in addition to the keyboard and touch pad that is on the laptop cause he has a large monitor that he uses for his "PC" side -- able then to look and run Mac programs on the laptop monitor...); today he left a book sitting on the wireless keyboard and after he removed it, he keyboard will not type on the "PC/Windows XP" side... It will type when he is on the "Mac" side... The mouse is working on both sides... Help!

TaylorTech :

I would say the chances are that the book was able to enable some kind of shortcut that stops the keyboard from functioning. Its not a driver issue or a hardware issue as it works fine in the Mac side. Are you getting any lights even coming on within the xp side? even though it doesnt type?

Customer:

what do you mean, any lights; i am able to manipulate from the PC desktop with the mouse and open, close programs, etc. just the not type...

TaylorTech :

Lights on the keyboard to show you if its on

TaylorTech :

Such as the numlock key light

Customer:

i know that it is on, cause i am typing to you now on the apple wireless keyboard; yay! just won't type when i am in windows xp...

TaylorTech :

Right, but what i am asking is, does it light up in xp mode?

Customer:

it does not have any lights like that on it, it just shows one small green light when you first power it on... this happened once before and my husband cannot remember what shortcut key/s he used to make it work again in Windows XP...

TaylorTech :

Which keyboard model do you have?

TaylorTech :

I will need to find out how it is laid out

Customer:

model #A1314 by Apple

TaylorTech :

Thanks

TaylorTech :

I am going to opt out of this question as I do not know what keys could have caused this. I have your keyboard pulled up but unfortunately apple keyboards are a different language to me. It may be beneficial to you if I changed the cat of this question to MAC where they may be able to tell you much quicker what you can press. The last thing I want to do is waste your time.

Customer:

okay; you are switching me to a Mac tech?

TaylorTech :

Yes I will send this question to them

TaylorTech :

One thing I cannot tell you is how long it will take

TaylorTech :

It could be 30 seconds or 2 hours. I show there are alot online so I think you will be fine for a quick response

Customer:

okay but what is wierd is that the keyboard is working on the MAC side; just not the PC side; so may need someone that knows both! :)

TaylorTech :

Yeah possibly, I just cannot fathom what could have been pressed to not let you type anything at all

Customer:

i agree...

TaylorTech :

To my knowledge there isnt a shortcut to simply turn it off

Customer:

i agree

TaylorTech :

There are dozens of shortcuts as you know to do many many things but turning it off isnt one of them

Customer:

okay; will take a couple min break, then come back and see what tech may be here, thx!

TaylorTech :

Your welcome

TaylorTech :

sorry i could not help you though

Customer:

anyone there?

miketaylor2008,
Experience: 
Hi there ill help you with this question, can you please tell me the brand of your wireless keyboard?

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Apple #A1314
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Received no answer thus far ...
Hi, I'll be happy to help with this issue.

I'm wondering if the Bluetooth pairing for the keyboard has been removed from the Windows side which would explain the issue somewhat...

Can you try the following procedure from the XP side and let me know if that resolves the issue

1) Go to Start Menu-->Settings-->Control Panel-->Bluetooth Devices
2) Press the power button on your wireless keyboard.
3) Into opened window at upper left side click on "Add a device".
4) The keyboard will appear as an icon, when it appears select it and click "Next"
5) Windows generates an 6 digit code to pair your kb, type this and press "Enter" key.

If not we can look at some other options.

Cheers

Steve