James, Sr. Mac Support Expert
Experience:  Mac Expert
24111805

I click on a URL in Word 2008 and I get a window: "Word is

Customer Question

I click on a URL in Word 2008 and I get a window: "Word is preparing to load this document" and then Word is frozen and nothing happens. I have to force quit. I can't copy the URL.
Category: Mac
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

1. Quit all Office applications.
  2. Navigate to your ~/Library/Preferences/ folder and drag the file(s) listed below to your desktop. Be sure to start from your UserName folder— ~ is shorthand for your user account.
  3. Relaunch Word. The file(s) will be recreated when you do so.

~/Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.Word.plist

~/Library/Preferences/com.microsoft.office.plist

~/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/Office 2008/Office Font Cache

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry I haven't had time to follow your instructions, but wanted to reply something, which is why I accepted your answer (which have always been perfect.)
I quit all Office apps.
/com.microsft.Word.plist dragged to desktop OK

Now the problem:

/com.microsoft.office.licensing.plist was dragged. There was no item without 'licensing'.

/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/Office 2008/Office Font Cache does not exist in LIbrary or Spotlight or Search in 'Macintosh HD.

I relaunched Word anyway. This time when I clicked on a URL I received: 'Unable to open http (URL). Cannot download the information you requested. Microsoft Word.

Over to you. This time you'll get a bonus!

Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Are we absolutely sure this is Word 2008?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes.
Version 12.3.2
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for verifying this.

Let's re-install Word from the CDs. Let me know if there is any change please.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
James: I am out of town and can't say when I will return home to reinstall the CD. I will be in touch.
Thank you for your patience.
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Sure - please take your time!