John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering
Experience:  Worked on Macs and PC's for 20+ years.
53785

Im running mac 10.4.11 with word 2004 and cannot open some

I'm running mac 10.4.11 with word 2004 and cannot open some word files sent to me by others running newer word versions on PCs. I am now beginning to work on some projects that I will need to do in word and sent back to them. Should I upgrade; if so, what version, and should I also upgrade excel at the same time? Realize this is a common question, but could you answer it again for me due to my needs?
Thanks,
Category: Mac
Expert:  John D replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

Yes you need to upgrade to Office 2011. That way not only will you have a much more advanced version than your current Office 2004 but you'll also be able to open all files created by any version, and also save files to any version you like

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
(1) Just want to confirm that I can run Office 2011 on 10.4.11. I thought I saw somewhere that it required Lion.
(2) Also, saw that there have been issues with it. Is Microsoft getting those resolved?

Thanks again!
Expert:  John D replied 4 years ago.

Yes I think you're right. Microsoft recommends Mac OS 10.5.8 or later for Office 2011. In that case I suggest that you install OpenOffice program which is free and is compatible with all versions of Word/Excel. So you will be able to open and save all Excel files. Here is the link

http://www.openoffice.org/porting/mac/download/aqua.html

Hope this helps

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry to be a pest, but I should have mentioned that I am running a "trial version" of office 2004. I want to upgrade and get rid of the "trial" label that continually pops up. What would be the latest upgrade I can use with my Tiger 10.4.11?
Expert:  John D replied 4 years ago.

The full version of Office 2004 should run on the 10.4.11 os. Here is Microsoft list of system requirements for Office 2004

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/871018

Hope this help

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
First answer inaccurate. Next one incomplete. I need to know what is the most recent version of microsoft office that I can run on my mac tiger 10.4.11 so I can download or purchase it. I need to replace my trial version of office 2004.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
You can open those newer formats with Office 2004 see here:

http://gigaom.com/apple/open-docx-with-office-2004/

You only need to buy a serial number to activate that trial version. Let me know what you want to do

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I understand your recommendation that I buy a serial number for my trial 2004 and then download a patch that will allow me to open newer versions. I'm not opposed to doing that.

But, before I do so, (1) Is 2004 the latest version that I can open with 10.4.11? and,
(2) If 10.4.11 will open later versions of office, is there any advantage for me to purchase a version newer than my 2004, ie upgrades, etc? And what office version would that be?

Thanks again!
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
You can use Office 2008, but not Office 2011 on 10.4:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?client=safari&rls=en&q=buy+office+2008&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=8104421810125983479&sa=X&ei=D3CdT9TkH8acgQeEnZmDDw&ved=0CKQBEPMCMAE#ps-sellers

Expert:  John D replied 4 years ago.

I am sorry I thought I made that clear.

1) the 2004 is the recommended latest version for your operation system. You see although you can use Office 2008 but that particular version has a serious limitation in that it does not support VBA macros (so you won't be able to utilize file types that are macro enabled)

2) Given what I told you before, no there is no advantage in upgrading the 2004 version on your os. But you can certainly use the OpenOffice program which can work with all versions and can co exist on your system with Office 2004

John D, BS Degree in Engineering
Experience: Worked on Macs and PC's for 20+ years.