Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

how do I upgrade my old mac g5 from OS X 10.3.9 to something

Customer Question

how do I upgrade my old mac g5 from OS X 10.3.9 to something newer (ie 10.5 or higher)?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

Could you please give me details about all the hardware specs of your Mac ?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Mac OS X version 10.3.9

Processor 1.6 GHzPowerPC G5

Memory 512 MB DDR SDRAM

Model iMac G5

Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Your Mac can handle upto Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, not 10.6 Snow Leopard or later. So you can buy and install Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard on your Mac. You have to buy the 10.5 Leopard Retails discs to upgrade your Mac. You can buy Leopard Retail Installation discs from eBay.com, Amazon.com etc

Once you get the discs, put it to your Mac and follow the onscreen instructions to upgrade. Backup your files before upgrading. Let me know if you have any questions. Only click Accept if you are satisfied.

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Can I buy a downloadable 10.5 Leopard? Will 10.5 Leopard be a current enough OS so I can use Pandora Radio, You Tube etc? Currently those programs tell me that I need to upgrade but don't tell me what to upgrade to.

Thanks so much....you are great!
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Sorry No. You can't download it. You have to buy it as Discs. Yes. Leopard is enough to use Pandora, Youtube etc

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Did you get me question about downloading leopard? I keep getting directed to the rate screen. I think I was hitting wrong button.
Expert:  Ashik replied 5 years ago.
Yes and I answered it. No, you can't download Leopard.