Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

My macbook pro suddenly became very slow and has great difficulties

Customer Question

My macbook pro suddenly became very slow and has great difficulties to perform almost any operation. I already deleated som big files. It happened during downloading from the piratebay ...
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

We can try some basic troubleshooting steps and see if that works or not.

Reset PRAM and NVRAM (Solution 1)

1. Shut down your Mac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys.

Restart in Safe mode
(Solution 2)
Make sure that the computer is shut down. Press the power button. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator. Let the Mac boot up...

Run Disk Utility in Single User Mode(Solution 3)
Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and this time hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. Then type the following command...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsck - fy then type only fsk - fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up. (Disk Utility will fix all system errors, bad preferences files etc)

Let me know if that didn't worked. Only click Accept after we solved the problem

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
using solution 1 and computer opens as slow as before... Normal?
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.

No, now try 2 and 3

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

... iit is not slow ... it is ultra-slow

I am now trying 3 and the secreen is still grey w apple and processcirkle. Will I get the black screen to write /sbin/fsck -fy or should I get the black screen at once?
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
You will get a blank screen with white letters to write...Also can you take out the RAM from your Mac, then clean it and put it back ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have a MacBookPro ... how will I take out the RAM?
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Follow the instructions in here : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1270

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was successful w solution 3 and the comp. started again bit after som time w grey screen the screen went black

I dont think it is off ... its warm ... is it working or should I turn off and staqrt again?
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Yes. Try it
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I cannot take otu the RAM AND NOW THE COMPUTER JUST TURNS ITSELF OFF IN A FEW MINUTES WHEN I TRY TO TURN IT ON ... SO NO I AM NOT SATISIFEIED ADN DO NOT ACCEPT ANSWER
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Please turn off the caps first. And don't you want to continue ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
turn off the caps before what? i can continute if you have helpful suggestions
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
In Internet all caps means yelling. I assume you are not yelling at me. That is why I asked you turn off caps before typing.

Your Mac will become slower when ; the system files are corrupted, hard drive is failing, problem with RAM etc

We don't know what the real problem is. We need to run all diagnostics to find out the problem. Turn off your Mac for 20 minutes and also unplug the Power cable from your Mac. Then turn it back on and reset the PRAM (solution 1)

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sry I didnt mean to yell .... I will try your suggestion ... no caps :-)
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
No Problem :)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

tryed solutieon 1 agian w same result as before ... screen goes black in a feew miunutes
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
What version of Mac OS X are you using ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
as I cannont open the comp. i cannot check because I have uppgraded online ...
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
I assume you are using Mac OS X Lion. Try reinstalling Lion. See here : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
how will I do that when my comp. will not start?
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Doesn't it turns on at all ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I get a grey screen w the apple for a few minutes and then it turns itself off ... maybe the end of the line for us? and I need to take the machine to the shop tomorrow? If so I will expect my money I payed for this support to return to my account. Yes?
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Sounds more like a hardware problem. You will have to take it to the Apple Store. Since I couldn't solve your problem, you don't have to pay (or accept). Contact Customer Support at [email protected] for refund.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ashik ... I hope I have not understood the terms wrong

Thank you. Goodbye
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 years ago.
Bye