Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

Dear Mac Genius -- I recently upgraded from Leopard, through

Customer Question

Dear Mac Genius -- I recently upgraded from Leopard, through Snow Leopard to Lion. I did this at the Apple store in Burlington, MA with a genius. We then loaded the new MS office for Mac and the 2007 Quicken for Mac.

Since doing this I can't communicate with my bank using Quicken. I have spend several hours on the phone with them. Now they report this is a quicktime interface issue. I doubt this since the online chat about this problem ended almost a year ago.

Please help. My goal is to download my bank transactions into the Quicken ledger. And not to disable anything else in this new OS system with which I'm only lightly familiar. Linda Atkinson
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

Hello Linda, my name is Dan.

My home is close to Lake Ontario in New York State in the Eastern time zone, I am generally online between 10 AM and 11 PM Eastern standard Time.

If I do not respond right away to your reply, rest assured that I am not ignoring you, I am probably assisting other customers and/or doing research, I will be with you as soon as I can.

I will continue to work on your problem until it is either resolved or you give up.

The only stupid question is the one not asked. Some may be silly but never stupid.

This may fix that, depends on which version was installed.

Very possibly the protocol being used is not compatible. From the info that I have you must first download a document from the bank and import into Quicken (I don't write the software) so that the two get on the same page.
Then this may also help explain what should be happening.

One thing to keep in mind is that Quicken just (within the last few months) decided to become Lion compatible (really slow that way).
There are some bumps and Quicken is Mac only reluctantly.

Look at that and let me know if it sheds any light.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Daniel, I have Quicken 2007 for Mac. It was installed about a month ago. It accepted my data. I can't interface with the bank. I download via web connect. When I go to the "account list" option, the program crashes. When I double click on a download from the bank, the account crashes. Is this info helpful. I have the crash report and can try to copy and send it to you if that would help. Linda
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
That is helpful info, crashing may be addressable.
First quit all open apps (bookmark this for return) and then repair permissions, it may be a conflict here.

Repairing Permissions

Then do a pram reset, this clears the buses and corrects many faults.

To do a PRAM reset, you need to restart your machine and hold down these 4 keys all together at the same time.

‘Option’, ‘Command (Cloverleaf or Apple)’, ‘R’ and 'P' all together at the same time.

Keep them down until you hear 4 startup chimes, this is the sound that your computer makes when it starts up, it is like a boonngg. The screen should also cycle from white to black and then back to white along with the chimes.

The sound should also get louder.

graphic

If you have a wireless keyboard then the procedure is a little bit different.

Use the very same keys but wait until the first chime and immediately press and hold those keys. I recommend getting your fingers ready because timing is critical.

It can take many try to get it, any USB keyboard is preferable.

Substitute the Control key for the Command key, Alt for Option on a Windows keyboard all others stay the same.

This resets all of the system buses on your computer, USB, FireWire, display, ethernet and your keyboard/mouse/trackpad.

This will correct many faults but not necessarily yours.

Then do a SafeBoot, this picks up where the pram left off.

To do a Safe Boot, restart and before the first chime press and hold the 'Shift' key.

Wait until you see the Apple logo and the spinning gear appear, then let go.

It can take as long as 20 minutes to load, so please be patient.

When the login screen appears it will say in red on the login window 'SafeBoot'.

Now login and give it a few more minutes to finish loading.

Try doing whatever it was it was giving you the problem. If it works then probably the problem is solved, so restart normally.

If the problem persists then restart normally also, other fixes will need to be done.

Please keep me informed.

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dear XXXXX, I have done as you recommended and still the Quicken crashes when I try to down load via the web to my account. When I use the account tab on the quicken menu, it also crashes. It crashes regardless of if I download from my bank, or use the quicken tool for downloading. What next, please. Linda
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Try a new user account, set that up using these instructions.

Next I suggest uninstalling Quicken and then reinstalling.
I suggest using Test for all fields, keeps it simple, also make it an admin account. You can delete it later.

Once that is done try Quicken and see if it still crashes.

This will tell us if it is system wide or just your account.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Daniel, I know I got the quicken upgrade online, but will I need my original start up disk for the reinstall? Also, I will need a bit more direction regarding creating a new use account. I will wait to hear back before uninstalling quicken. Thanks, Linda
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
A new install may not be necessary. That is what the new user account is testing.
What part of the new user is troublesome?
System Preferences.
graphic
Or click the gearbox in the dock.
graphic
Then Accounts.
graphic
graphic
From there just follow the prompts, I use TEST for the mane, short name and password, keeps it simple.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I created the "test" account. I don't know how troubleshoot from there. I opened the preferences tab, but what am I looking for? Linda
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
After logging into Test, try Quicken, it is in the applications folder.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can't open quicken because I can't figure out how to get my data there. I put in a "shared" folder, but it says it is locked. I put the back up folder in drop box on my main account, but it doesn't appear in the test account. Sorry. I'm out of my depth here and might need specific instructions. Please don't assume I know anything when telling me what to do next -- or in which account. I don't even know how to toggle back and forth between accounts. I continually have to put in the passwords and am working in either my main account or my "test" account. Very clumsy. Thanks, Linda
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
The new account is just that new, you did the right thing with dropbox but you also have to open dropbox in the new account. I suggest online for that, you can sign in and download the data.

Quicken should not need a file to open as it creates files. Will it open, that is the question, it was crashing before and we are trying to find out why.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK. I think I did this correctly. It will open. It does not allow me to open a new account -- that option is greyed out. Only option was "file" I did that, told it to save in documents. It briefly did, the crashed. What next? L
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Then the issue is with the application not your account.
That means that it will have to uninstaller with all its parts. It won't harm any data, that will remain intact.

First logout of Test using the Apple menu, login to your account.
Now you How To Reinstall Quicken Online Backup - Quicken Support use those instructions to reinstall Quicken, according to Intuit this will fix this but it remains to be seen.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
All the instruction for reinstall on Quicken site are for PCs. It references only Quicken for PC. I don't recall my account name or password XXXXX both of which are necessary for the sign in. Next. Actually. May we continue this tomorrow? I'm getting pretty tired. Linda
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Tomorrow is fine. You need that account info or you are just spinning your wheels. Even if we get it working you will need that info.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Good morning, Daniel. Back it this issue, although I have other things that will take me away from this problem most of today.

Regarding the Quicken account ID: Where might I find it? Is it on the original box (QUicken 2007 for windows?) The most recent update was sent via download. Is this something they assigned, or I personalized? Quicken help is currently off-line.
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Linda, I cannot access your account in any way. I did find some small help at Intuit Quicken though. It may or may not get you to where your ID and password XXXXX be.

The above cloud be a clue.

Support is poor and vague plus Windows orientated. Quicken reluctantly includes Mac in their customer base.
I found no phone number to call, the site goes in circles, round and round. All leading here.

I can do no more.

Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Daniel, I appreciate your help over the past day and it is most certainly worth $58.00. But if I click off so that you get paid, will I continue to get help solving this problem? Thanks, Linda
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
As much as I appreciate the offer I was unable to solve it, I do not know if anyone can outside of Quicken and they are hard to reach.
If you can sing into Quicken online you may get better results than I did.
At the top of that page is a place to click Sign in.
You might also try the 'Are you a new user?', that has some setup instructions that may point you to where your account info is.

I will optout and let another expert give it a try, may do better than I did.
You should hear from one shortly.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, I was able to suss out my account name (one I did create) using your log-in strategy and I knew the password. Great suggestions! You might indee be a genius and I certainly appreciate your forebearance.

I downloaded a new Quicken 2007. It did open and then failed in the same areas -- using the account tab and trying to down load from the bank. UGH. ANy more thoughts?
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
So it still crashes?
What, if any, error messages do you get?
Have you talked to your bank about this, they may have something that may be relevant.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Daniel, I hit "accept" answer earlier this week. My problem continues, but I will get this solved somehow! Thanks for your time and help. The $58 was well spent.
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
All I can do is help your Mac perform at its best, Quicken has a history of not playing nice with Mac and Lion they wanted to ignore.
They were given all the developer tools that all other software companies were given necessary to make QuicXXX XXon compatible and they failed, leaving many stranded.
They then tried pushing Mac uses into a second rate application called Essentials, that was a big disappointment.

You are by no means alone with this issue. I suggest using this to totally remove all traces of Quicken from your Mac (back your files up first) and then download a new copy and install it.

If your files are not corrupted then it should work again.

Let me know please and thank you for the accept.