David, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc H.Dip Apple Certified Professional
39216975

recovery HD is locked - want to re-install OSX

I have a Mac Book Pro from 2009 with Lion 10.7. It is performing badly and I want to re-install the OSX. Pressing CMD/R and choosing reinstall mac osx, license confirmed, I want to choose recovery HD, but the disk is locked?

disk image:

320.07 GB Hitachi / drive0

disk1

MAC OX X Base System

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.

Is it something like this:
support.apple.com/kb/TS3926

If so try the resolution steps in that article.

Get back to me if it fails, thanks in advance!

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I think the link was covering a different subject. This is about the recovery HD ?

Do you see a similar image to the one in the article? Where do you see the message that the recovery disk is locked? Is it in a similar type window, or at a different stage of the installation?

Thanks in advance,
David.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It is a similar image, but the disks are different. I want to reinstall Mac OS X, and I have to options in my image called "Install Mac OS X":

Recovery HD 650 MB total - 140.3 MB available

This disk is locked.

drive0 319.21 GB total - 11.04 GB available

I cannot choose the Recovery HD.

You have started to Lion recovery, so choose the drive0 to install Lion.

Do you have a backup of all your data just in case we need to erase the disk to fix the issue?

Thanks in advance.
David.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I have a backup (time machine), but I belived that I could just re-install the OS X with out loosing applications, data, etc. Is that no the whole idea of using the build in reovery HD?

No, I just inquired in case it came to that point. go ahead and select disk0 to install on, it should be fine.

Best regards,
David.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I am ask to pay more money - this is not acceptable for me.

AS it should be, as you have accepted my answer already. I apologize if there was a mistake, and you were asked to pay. You only pay once you are satisfied, and you only accept once.

Sincerely,
David.