Steve
Steve, Mac Help Specialist
Experience:  Support and training for Mac users since 1991.
35684427

Hi there,In my email signature the address/phone number

Hi there, In my email signature the address/phone number combination turns into a link when it's sent and when the recipient gets it it turns blue as well. It's useless to me and it looks terrible. Didn't do this until Lion. Thanks, Bruno

Couple of things. When I click on the blue phone links they opened up Microsoft Communicator. Got rid of that – now it just says 'no app available' when I click on it. The entire link seems to have something to do with address book.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.

Steve :

Hi, I'm here to help with your Mac questions. Computer problems usually take some trouble-shooting. I'll keep working until you are satisfied.

Steve :

The email address is recognized by the system and will become a link that creates a new message with your address but you can thwart the programming by doing it this way (with some well placed spaces around the @ symbol).

NAME @ DOMAIN.COM

Steve :

I'm unsure about the phone number becoming a link...can you place the signature in this chat window so I can take a look?

Steve :

You should hide any personal info by using xxx

Steve :

or NAME

Customer:

Are you talking about taking a screen capture of it?

Steve :

You can do that and attach it with the paperclip button. Or just copy and paste the text into this chat.

Customer:

Here it is. You can see the window that opens up when phone links are pressed. Not concerned about the contact stuff. Might get me some business...

Full Size Image

Customer:

I'm a graphic designer otherwise I probably wouldn't care.

Steve :

It appears you may have stepped away...I'll check back in an hour.

Customer:

No, still here.

Steve :

Sorry, I didn't get your reply til just now...hold on a moment.

Steve :

What program are you using for email?

Customer:

Mac mail – latest version. 5.2 I believe.

Customer:

checked back on some of my emails. Seems to have started mid-march this year. Prior to that only the URL became a link. That's around the time I got iCloud going. No idea whether that might have something to do with it.

Steve :

Sorry for the delay, I'm poking around in Mail trying to figure out why the phone numbers are doing that...if you click the phone number in a message, what happens?

Steve :

I doubt if iCloud has anything to do with it.

Customer:

It used to open up Microsoft Communicator. Figuring that was the problem I deleted it along with all auxilliary files. Now I get a window saying there is no application to open.

Steve :

So, it sounds like it is trying to do a text message. I would suggest re-creating the signature from scratch. Do that and let's see if it continues

Steve :

Just do a quick one to test:

Steve :

Name

Steve :

p(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Customer:

I'll try that. Sorry, gotta head out – thanks for giving it a shot.

Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.
Hi Bruno, hopefully re-creating the signature solved your problem. Thanks for using JustAnswer!