jstinehelfer
jstinehelfer, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  A+ Comptia Certified computer repair

My Safari keeps shutting down with an error saying, Safari

Customer Question

My Safari keeps shutting down with an error saying, Safari quit unexpectedly while using .IntervideoWinDVDv.tmp plugin. What does this mean and how do I get rid of it so my Safari works properly?
Category: Mac
Expert:  jstinehelfer replied 2 years ago.

jstinehelfer :

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an expert with JustAnswer.com. Thank you so much for using our services. I do believe I can help you with your problem today. Please do not click the Accept button until you are satisfied with my help.

jstinehelfer :

This sounds like a plug in problem and it gives you the name of the plug in that is causing the problem

jstinehelfer :

.IntervideoWinDVDv.tmp plug in is causing the problem

jstinehelfer :

Your plug ins are stored in two locations in finder

jstinehelfer :

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins

jstinehelfer :

and

jstinehelfer :

~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins

jstinehelfer :

if you browse to those folders and find that plug in and drag it out of those folders on to your desktop then try to open safari

Customer:

It looks like a windows plugin although I am on a mac. Do i need to delete this plugin?

jstinehelfer :

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1594 Here is the link to the apple support doc that explains all this

jstinehelfer :

I will drag it to your desktop first and see if it fixes the problem

jstinehelfer :

And yes it looks like a program called Win DVD that is installed on your Mac

jstinehelfer :

If you find this fixes the problem then you need to decide if you want to keep this or not

jstinehelfer :

You might find an updated plug in on the Win DVD website

jstinehelfer :

Or if you dont use it then just remove it and dont worry about it

Customer:

Can't find anything in Plugins

jstinehelfer :

you dont see the Win DVD plug in in there

jstinehelfer :

did you look in both locations

Customer:

When I double click on Internet Plugins there is nothing there.

Customer:

Up above you gave me the same place.

jstinehelfer :

no one location has a ~

jstinehelfer :

and one does not

Customer:

The path shows /library/application support/.Intervideo...

Customer:

I only have one folder called Internet plugins

Customer:

When I go to that path, inside application support there is nothing close to Intervideo

jstinehelfer :

Usually the plug in folder contains the plug ins so when safari opens it uses those plug ins

jstinehelfer :

1. From the Finder's Go menu, again choose Go to Folder.

2. Go to this folder (type or paste the following):

~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins

Customer:

Don't see the " ~ "

Customer:

GO MENU - Meaning the search field?

jstinehelfer :

yes the search field

Customer:

Did it and nothing came up

jstinehelfer :

I wonder if this is hidden on you

jstinehelfer :

click the link I just sent to make sure your folders and files are not hidden from you

Customer:

Where do I type that command to show hidden folders?

jstinehelfer :

you have to use Terminal

Customer:

And BTW while typing to you the window shut down and gave me the same error message. Happens every 15 to 20 min

Customer:

How do I get to terminal

jstinehelfer :

The Terminal is a program included with all versions of Mac OS X. It is located in the Utilities folder within the Applications folder

Customer:

So I ave typed it there and it didn't seem to do anything

jstinehelfer :

did you go to finder and see if you see the folder with the ~

Customer:

nothing

jstinehelfer :

hmm

jstinehelfer :

see if you can do the following

jstinehelfer :

1. Open Safari.

2. From the Safari menu, choose Preferences.

3. Click Security.

4. Deselect "Enable plug-ins".

5. Use Safari for a while until you are reasonably certain it is no longer unexpectly quitting (or, if it still is quitting, skip to the next section).

Customer:

So, what is the next section

jstinehelfer :

did it still crash

Customer:

hasn't yet but does that screw up other programs that might need plugins?

jstinehelfer :

yes but if it has not crashed then you have a plugin in problem

Customer:

Ahh, got it

jstinehelfer :

and we need to troubleshoot the plug ins

jstinehelfer :

If Safari no longer quits unexpectedly with plug-ins disabled, try to isolate which specific plug-in is causing the issue:

1. Log in to Mac OS X as an administrator if you aren't already.

2. From the Finder's Go menu, choose Go to Folder.

3. Go to this folder (type or paste the following):

/Library/Internet Plug-Ins

(Leave this folder window open.)

4. From the Finder's Go menu, again choose Go to Folder.

5. Go to this folder (type or paste the following):

~/Library/Internet Plug-Ins

(Leave this folder window open.)

These two folders hold third-party plug-ins.

6. Move all third-party plug-ins from these two folders to a different, temporary location, such as a new folder on your desktop.

7. In Safari, from the Safari menu, choose Preferences.

8. Click Security.

9. Select "Enable plug-ins".

10. Quit Safari.

11. Add one third party plug-in back into the appropriate Internet Plug-Ins folder.

12. Open Safari and test for the quitting issue. If Safari is not quitting, quit it manually and add another third-party plug-in back into the appropriate Internet Plug-Ins folder.
    Repeat this process until you discover which plug-in causes Safari to unexpectedly quit (then remove that plug-in from the Internet Plug-Ins folder).

Sometimes, a combination of plug-ins may cause the issue. To double check this, remove all plug-ins again. Then only add the plug-in you found in the above steps. If Safari unexpectedly quits, then you have found the plug-in at issue. If Safari does not unexpectedly quit, repeat the above steps but add the plug-in at issue at the start to discover the other plug-in it may be in conflict with..

Customer:

Again, sorry to sound so stupid but when you say "log into" Mac Os where do I do that?

Customer:

I don't have a "GO" menu unless you mean the search field.

jstinehelfer :

It means you must be an Adminstrator. You must be logged in to a Admin account

jstinehelfer :

Yes the Search Field

jstinehelfer :

Do you have more than one account on this computer?

Customer:

Not more than one account on the computer. When I type those" ~/" commands nothing comes up after typing in the search field.

jstinehelfer :

are you pressing the enter key after typing in the search

jstinehelfer :

I just found this and maybe it relates to your OSX

jstinehelfer :

One in /Library, and another in /Users/you/Library

jstinehelfer :

look for the Internet Plugins folder in these two locations

Customer:

ahhh, let me look.

jstinehelfer :

hopefully you can find a plug in that has a name with win dvd in it

Customer:

Just found the file

Customer:

The plug ins not the dvd file yet

Customer:

All of my plugins have dates long before this started happening except for one of them, which is a flash player plugin.

jstinehelfer :

I noticed online that many people been having problems with the flash player plugin]

jstinehelfer :

you can temp drag it to your desktop

jstinehelfer :

then open Safari

jstinehelfer :

enable the plug ins again

jstinehelfer :

then test and see if this fixes the problem

jstinehelfer :

You might have to enable the plug ins in safari quit safari and then open it up again to properly test it

Customer:

So now go and Enable plugins and see if it still happens?

Customer:

Sorry,didn't scroll down.

Customer:

I'll try

jstinehelfer :

1. In Safari, from the Safari menu, choose Preferences.

2. Click Security.

3. Select "Enable plug-ins".

4. Quit Safari.

jstinehelfer :

then re open safari

Customer:

Would that plugin have come in with an update? I have never been in that file before and yet the last modified date was just in April.

jstinehelfer :

I would of thought it would have came in an adobe flash update

jstinehelfer :

did removing the flash plugin help with safari not crashing?

Customer:

I believe so because I just went to a site that uses flash player and it id not work, probably because I removed the Plugin?

jstinehelfer :

correct

jstinehelfer :

but has safari quit yet?

Customer:

That's just wonderful that the new flash player update doesn't work with Safari even though it states that it is for Safari.

jstinehelfer :

flash player can be a pain even on windows computers. Android devices etc

jstinehelfer :

I have had to roll back to a previous flash version until they fix a problem with a newer version

Customer:

So do I need a new version of Flash Player? Or am I just going to run into the same problem?

jstinehelfer :

Well you can try two things

Customer:

Where do I find an older version?

jstinehelfer :

Try to reinstall the latest one and maybe it was just a bad download

jstinehelfer :

or install a previous version of flash

jstinehelfer :

let me look

jstinehelfer :

which version of Mac OSX are you using?

Customer:

10.6.8

jstinehelfer :

looks like they only have one version for that

jstinehelfer :

lets try to reinstall the latest version and see if that helps

Customer:

installed

jstinehelfer :

ok good I will cross my fingers and hope all is well now

Customer:

We'll see.

jstinehelfer :

does it seem to be working?

Customer:

I think we may be okay and if not I, at least, I have an idea of how to trouble shoot it. Thank you. I will accept the answer.

jstinehelfer :

Thanks for using Just Answer and have a great day

Customer:

I really appreciate your answer and time!

jstinehelfer, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: A+ Comptia Certified computer repair
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
At this point (one day later) none of these things worked. The message states that the plugin is located in my users//library/application support/.IntervideoWinDVDv.tmp. I can't find this file anywhere and Safari shuts down about every half hour.
I am wondering if one of two solutions would work. Either remove Win DVD software off your computer or reinstall the software. I did a search and cant seem to find where you might of got the software from. I thought maybe you might have the disk for it or you might remember how or where you installed it from. WinDVD is basically some CD/DVD burning software if that helps jog your memory.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I haven't loaded anything new on my computer lately. This just started to happen. The program seems to be a windows program or application and there would be no reason for me to even have it on a MAC. I think it is a bit odd that I can't find it on my system.
Here is another place to look

From your Safari menu bar click Safari / Preferences then select the Extensions tab.

Plugins can be installed there. You can turn Extensions off or select the Extension then click Unintsall.

See if it is listed there
also look at this article by apple

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3230?viewlocale=en_US

Remember, if for any reason you are unsatisfied with my answer, we can continue the conversation until you’re satisfied and Accept my answer. I can address follow up questions at no extra charge and I’m always here to help. Thank you for using JustAnswer!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nothing in extensions either. I guess I am confused as to why I can't just follow the "path" and find the program. When I follow the path there is nothing there. And showing hidden files did not work at all.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So, I disabled plugins in Safari and the error shut down Safari anyway. Now I am really stuck.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yesterday I had to reboot my Mac. That was the one thing that I needed to do after making all hidden file visible. After rebooting, I was able to find the file that was causing the problem and remove it. That is one thing that the directions for showing hidden files should include. Thanks for all of your help!