James, Sr. Mac Support Expert
Experience:  Mac Expert
24111805

Im trying to change my iCloud account on my iPhone 4S but

Customer Question

I'm trying to change my iCloud account on my iPhone 4S but every time I do it seems to "reset" itself to the older, original account I was using and it is "greyed out" and I am unable to select it.
Category: Mac
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
On the iPhone, touch Settings.
Scroll down, and touch Store.
Touch Sign Out.
Touch Sign In.
Sign in with your new Apple ID and password.

Thanks,

J.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have tried this 4 times already. This does not work
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
Which part of what I said doesn't work?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Perhaps I should provide more detail. I am trying to sign into iCloud with my @me.com address after having previously used a different account. Every time I go to iCloud in Settings, I scroll to the bottom and press delete account. After I sign in with the new @me.com address, it returns to the original address, in grey.
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
Ah, ok.
Go to Settings, Mail.
Add the new iCloud account.
Delete the existing one.

Done.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The mail account is already there and functioning. It's the iCloud account name that won't change.
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
In the list of mail accounts, do you see the OLD icloud account?
If so - remove it.
It is of type "icloud".
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The original account name was a "Telus.net" account. (My service provider account.) When I got my iPhone 4S last week I opened a new @me.com address which set up easily in the mail accounts on my phone. The type "iCloud" under mail was already the @me.com address, however iCloud was still under the "Telus.net" account.
Upon removing Telus.net from my email accounts, I am still unable to remove it from the iCloud account.
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
Sounds like a corrupt setting.

Go to Settings, General, Reset - and reset all settings.
This will remove all settings from the phone, and will allow you to reconfigure it exactly as you want it to be.
James, Sr. Mac Support Expert
Experience: Mac Expert
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Didn't work
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
You reset the settings, added only the .me account, and it still figured out what the old account is?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes.
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
Let's try this again.
Reset ALL settings.
Add ONLY the .me account as your Apple ID - nothing else.
What happens?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It doesn't even ask for my apple id. I set it up, the introduction, country, diagnostics, etc... and then I go in and there is my original Apple ID.
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
Is it connected to the computer and iTunes?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Through wireless, yes.
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
Okay...
In iTunes, click Store, View my account.
Change the email on the account to the new one - or if it is actually a new Apple account, sign out and then back in with the new account.
Now reset the phone again.

It kept getting the settings from iTunes...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My concern is that I will then lose all of my purchased music, movies, etc? I want to maintain that older apple id for store purchases, but use the new @me.com account as a personal account to iCloud. Make sense? Is that a logical concern?
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
Makes sense, and not a problem.
Simply sign into the account in iTunes, and change the email on the account (view my account under "Store").
This way you keep the same account, and have the email address you want on it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
By changing my apple id, would that not put me back where i started? I began all of this so my wife would be able to use the cloud and purchased items with a "Shared" id. We would each then create a personal apple id for contacts, calendars, etc... By changing the apple id name, it just moves the same problem to a different name, no?
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
OH - I see what you're saying.
If you both use the same Apple ID, you will have problems (learn from my experience, tried the same with my own wife).
Although you WILL indeed be able to download the same apps without paying twice, your SMS messages will stop working, facetime will not work properly, etc. The phone uses the Apple ID for more than just the downloads.

I would highly recommend to you to get the wife her own ID, even at the cost of a few more bucks. Not worth the hassle using the same ID will cause.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
SO, I guess it's have all the functions on your phone working well or share your library of music on iCloud, just not BOTH?
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
The libary of music you can still share - you can sync the library with her phone as well. What you can't do, is pay for an app one time, and then use it on both phones without paying for it again.

Any music you get, you download to iTunes. Then connect her phone, and sync - the music sync doesn't depend on the apple ID.

J.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
But using anything from the iCloud is a no go?
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
That's right - with different ID's, it's another iCloud space.

Not worth the hassle - I'm quite technical and I tried all kinds of hacks to make it work (actually still trying with my son's iPod touch which uses my ID so he can get the games I try) - very problematic.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well that sucks. Make it very challenging for a family to own multiple devices.

Thanks for your help.
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
I agree it sucks - it is also by design. Apple's idea is that those devices are pesonal - and each user needs to have their own space, own ID, and of course...pay for their own stuff.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Now what? How do I pay for your time? Or have I already?
Expert:  James replied 2 years ago.
You already have, and I thank you!