Mary
Mary, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  25+ years supporting the Mac graphic arts industry
44751453

Hi, I just bought an Ipad 2 yesterday, and in the process of

Hi, I just bought an Ipad 2 yesterday, and in the process of setting it up, it won't take my password. so I put in a new password, and it won't take that one either. I can't retrieve mail, get on facebook, download an app., etc. I have an iphone, and now can not use the password XXXXX either. Can you tell me how to reset my password, as I have tried several times to reset it, and still can not use it. Thank you.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mary replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I'm Mary and I'll do my best to help you solve your iPad issue.

Since the iPad is brand new, I assume you don't have any data yet stored on it?

If that's the case, the easiest thing might be to reset the iPad to factory defaults and start over.

However, I need to clarify - are you able to start the iPad and get to the home screen?

Or are you encountering a lock screen password that you cannot get beyond?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Mary, I can get to the home page only. I can not get past it to any page where I have to enter a password. I have tried resetting the password several, and each time it says " password entered incorrectly".
Expert:  Mary replied 2 years ago.
That's good news, as I was afraid you weren't even able to get to the home screen.

Let's factory reset the device and see if that solves the problem.

Do this:

1. On your iPad 2 home screen, tap the Settings icon

2. Tap General in the menu to the left of the screen, then tap Reset

3. Here, you will have two options:

• "Reset All Settings" will restore all of your app settings to their original status

• "Erase All Content and Settings" will reset all app settings and erase all of your data (photos, apps, bookmarks, music, etc.)

4. After selecting one of the two options above, your iPad 2 will reboot

5. If you selected "Erase All Content and Settings", you will need to reconnect your iPad 2 to iTunes in order to reactivate it

If you don't have any irreplaceable data on your iPad, I'd suggest you choose the "Erase all Content and Settings" in order to clear out any lingering "remembered" password settings.

This should solve your problem, but if not, let me know and we'll continue troubleshooting.

Mary

Mary, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: 25+ years supporting the Mac graphic arts industry