Dustin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  4 Years in the US Military working with Mac's and networking equipment
19897260

Although I have blocked pop-up windows, they still appear the

Customer Question

Although I have blocked pop-up windows, they still appear the whole time, which is really irritating. I want to dispense with them altogether as the blocking does not stop them appearing. How can I get rid of this extension for ever?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Welcome To JustAnswer!

My name isXXXXX am one of the Experts who will assist you today!

When your using Safari, and gettig these popups.. Is there one specific website or email program you are using when the popups occur?

or.. Is it any website and every website that the pop-up issues happen on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This happens on every website, continually, and on my email programme. It's just happened twice as I type this.
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Even on this website?

Can you please verify what the popups say.. Are they actually from JustAnswer, popups asking you to try our subscription? Or.. Are you getting completely unrelated popups that are not specifically about justanswer.com?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It doesn't say that they are from JustAnswer. They seem to be unrelated, always a list of queries asking if I
"want to be directed to Spotlight' and more of the same, saying do you want this that or the other - up to about 8 in all in a neat little box over what I am typing. I have to click on the box two or three times to make it go away.

Impressive profile, Dustin!

Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
I thought they would be unrelated.

Im about 90 percent certain that your mac has been infected with viruses, and adware.

Mac are relatively new to the virus scene, but there are free programs we can run that will help remove the viruses causing these popups, and protect your safety on the computer.

Lets try this program first :: Virus barrier x6

http://www.intego.com/virusbarrier

Im not suggesting that you purchase the program, What I would like you to do though is download the Free Trial.

Once downloaded, install the free trial.. Then, run the Virus Barrier program

let it scan your entire mac, and im certain that this should find viruses.. let it remove any viruses it finds.

Once it has removed the viruses.. restart the mac.

Then we need to do one more manual repair.

To open Disk Utility, from the Applications folder, open Utilities, and then double-click the Disk Utility icon.

In the column on the left, click your startup disk.

Click the First Aid tab, and then click Repair Disk Permissions. Disk Utility will reset any files and folders with incorrect settings.

Once this is done.. test out safari.. Are the random popup messages gone now?

If you run into any issues, or if this doesnt work, let me know so that I can continue to assist you.

You can get back to me on this same question, the same way you have been doing.. Just send me a reply.

Or..

Log into JustAnswer.com, then on the Top right, click on my questions

Then, click the "reply to expert" next to my face..

If my answer helped, please click one of the smiley faces to rate the solution, and then click the green accept button to accept the answer..

If my answer did not work, please wait to rate the answer and also wait to accept and instead send me a reply so that I can continue to assist you as needed.

Thanks! D.Sandlin

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well I just about managed that but I have tested it. While I was doing it I copied down the contents of 2 boxes, as may be they are related:

1. Open Link in New Window
Open Link in New Tab
Download linked Files
Add link as Bookmarks
Add link as Reading List
Copy Link

2. New Folder
Get Info
Change desktop background
Clean up
Arrange by the slow options

I'll let you know if the beasts continue.
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Question.. These two boxes you copied, where did they come from?

1. Open Link in New Window
Open Link in New Tab
Download linked Files
Add link as Bookmarks
Add link as Reading List
Copy Link

2. New Folder
Get Info
Change desktop background
Clean up
Arrange by the slow options

And also, Were you able to get virus barrier installed.. And were you able to have it run a scan?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They just appeared when I clicked on links.

I got onto Intego.com, clicked on the free trial, clicked on the virus barrier programme but I don't know whether anything happened.

On the Repair disk in Utility is said repairs done. So may be.

I'll let you know.

Thanks so far.
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Im glad the repairs were done..

I dont think we installed virus barrier.. As its a three part process.

You click on the link to download.

Then the file downloads into your downloads folder.

Then you have to double left click the file to open it, and then install it

And finally, once installed.. We have to run the program itself.

However.. When your clicking and you got those boxes you mentioned, it sounds like you were right clicking or control clicking.

Was you using the left, or right mouse button?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Done it!

I use the flat Mac mouse and I've never thought about right and left. Which should it be?
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Do you have a clicker on the left and right side?

try clicking on the left side of the mouse... Does that give you different options then the ones you previously posted? ( Left clicking should select what you want to do.. such as go to a link, or open a program, Where as right clicking should give y ou options such as, how y ou want to open the link, or the program)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've clicked all over the little mouse pad, left and right, up and down. May be this is what I've been doing as once (and I can't remember whether it was right or left - it only happened once in five minutes - but may be this is the answer. I'll click the left side always,yes?
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Yes, definitely use left click to Open things.

Whe you use right click, its going to show those option boxes such as, "open link in new window, new tab"

Or, if your trying to open a file , picture or program, if you right click its going to ask you things like Save, Save as, copy, open with, etc"

if your left clicking, and you still get the popup boxes.. Make sure to let me know because that means we need to do further repairs!

Thanks! D.Sandlin
Dustin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience: 4 Years in the US Military working with Mac's and networking equipment
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you so much for your help. I found things on my Mac I didn't know existed.

I've worked out that my browser pad is faulty and the right and left has become all right so that wherever I touch, up comes the 'helpful' suggestion box. I'll buy a wi'fi mouse and hope this will help.

I was impressed with the speed you came back to me with possible reasons. Very good service!

RS
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Your very welcome.. Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback,

Im happy that your happy with the solution we found. Im sure a new mouse will do the trick.. And if something else comes up, let me know so I can assist you further as needed..

Thanks again,

D.Sandlin