CompExpert
CompExpert, Mac Specialist
Experience:  Apple Desktop/Laptops with 8 years exp. Apple Certified
63903440

Trying to restore iPad1, I get an Itunes error 1611, well into

Customer Question

Trying to restore iPad1, I get an Itunes error 1611, well into the restore sequence and Itunes gives up, with a link to a boilerplate page for the various error conditions. I got this far, after I stripped down the operating processes to what I thought was the minimum set and getting disconnected from all ny USB devices. , I was following " UTORIAL - Failsafe method to restore the current version of IOS" very carefully. No luck.
Category: Mac
Expert:  CompExpert replied 2 years ago.

CompExpert :

hi,
go into control panel, uninstalled all apple products, ex: itunes, itunes helper, apple mobile support....etc

after that reboot your computer

go to http://www.apple.com/itunes/ to reinstall itunes

after that put your ipad in DFU or recovery mode

1.Attach the ipad to the pc
2.Turn the ipad off
3.Press and hold power. Keep holding power. As soon as you see display on the screen of any sort press and hold home button.
4.Hold power and home together for *exactly* 10 seconds
5.Release power but keep holding home until the pc beeps as a USB device is recognized.
6.At no point will the display come on. Now your restore should work.

CompExpert :

after that, open itunes and click yes when asked to restore

CompExpert :

if that workout for you, please click accept. thank you

CompExpert :

also, make sure you disable your antivirus software if you have one installed

JACUSTOMER-kdhteko2- :

Thank you for your reply. I have followed this procedure several times and I have been unable to restore the iPad 1 to factory settings. Itunes 10.6.1 reports an error 1611. I need to something different.

JACUSTOMER-kdhteko2- :

Please lrt me know the ETA of your reply.

JACUSTOMER-kdhteko2- :

Many Thanks.

CompExpert :

try this

CompExpert :

For Windows

Step 1. Start –> Programs –> Accessories
Step 2. Run Notepad or WordPad
Step 3. Click “Open..” from File menu.
Step 4. Browse to Windows/System32/drivers/etc
Step 5. In “files of type:” select all documents
Step 6. Open “hosts”
Step 7. Delete all line that has “gs.apple.com”
Step 8. Hit Save
Step 9. Restore your device

Customer :

Thank you for this:

Customer :

I am doing this on my Windows 7 machine. It does not give me permission to edit and save the hosts file in the Windows/System32/drivers/etc folder. Any suggestions?

Customer :

It is very late and I need sleep. I will signon by 5:00 am, EDT, Monday 2apr12.

CompExpert :

go into control panel --->>> user account --->>> change my account type, make sure you account is a administrator account

CompExpert :

if not a administrator account, set your account as administrator

CompExpert :

after reboot your computer and try to restore your ipad again

CompExpert :

i think that is your problem, because your account is not administrator account, so you have permission problem when trying to restore

Customer :

I assure you that I am using an Administrator account. However, I checked again and have rebooted and attempted to restore the iPad using the itunes procedure. Furthermore I have removed all USB devices except for the one connecting to the iPad. On reboot, I have checked the open processes as shown in Task Manager and terminated all tasks relating to ant-virus checking and all known 3rd party programs (not related to Apple of course). The result is the same: error 1611, after several minutes of activity, during which the iPad showed the Apple logo and a slider which should show the degree of completion of the restore. This never left the zero origin. Thus I have not progressed at all in restoring the iPad 1.Do you have any other solution to try?

Customer :

Please acknowledge receipt of this reply. This is not an ACCEPTANCE.

Customer :

Hi - Anyone there?

CompExpert :

yes im here

Customer :

Are you the person who sent me the prior replies re the Restore of my iPad? Or are you a different person?

CompExpert :

yes i am

CompExpert :

i think im the only contact person for your case

Customer :

OK - thank you for your earlier replies. You will see that I am still stuck with the error 1611 problem. I worked on this for seven hours yesterday, so you will understand my frustration.

CompExpert :

I understand,
sorry, im ran out of solution for your problem. let me opt out and another expert might help you out

CompExpert :

hope you can fix your problem

Customer :

I am inclined to take the device to the local Apple Store to see if they can help. Unfortunately, they will want to sell me a new iPad 3, which I don't need and can't afford.

Customer :

Thank you CompExpert, I hope I did not cause offence. Bye. Shall I wait online for your next expert to come on?

Customer :

Anyone there?

Customer :

I will stand by for 15 minutes. Is that long enough to get someone to take the case? I will go do something else at 7:00 pm. EDT.

Customer :

Time is 6:56 pm, EDT

Customer :

Time is 7:00 PM, EDT, Monday April 2, 2012. Time to move on. Goodbye.