Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

My appleworks program tries to load, then fails. When I click

Customer Question

My appleworks program tries to load, then fails. When I click "reload," the same thing happens all over again. Can you help me. I NEED that program. Thanks.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

Which version of OS X do you have? Look in the Apple menu in 'About this Mac'.
graphic

Then we will see what can be done, it shouldn't be too hard to fix.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My mac is osx version 10.5.8, Software update, Processor 2.53 GHz Intel Core, Memory 4 GB, 1067 bMHz DDR3, Startup disk Macintosh HD
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Thanks.
Ok more than likely all it needs is some maintenance. Such as repairing permissions, SafeBoot and a pram reset.
This PDF explains the permissions thing, it will open in your browser, you can save it for when you need it again.

Repairing Permissions

One thing about 10.5.8 Leopard, repairing permissions is slow so please give it time.

Then the pram reset, this helps lots of things and will really improve performance.

To do a PRAM reset, you need to restart your machine and hold down these 4 keys.

‘Option’, ‘Command (Cloverleaf or Apple)’, ‘R’ and 'P'.

Keep them down until you hear 4 startup chimes. This is the sound it makes when starting up, like a bbbooonnnggg. The screen will also cycle.

graphic

This resets all of the system buses on your computer, USB, FireWire, display, ethernet and your keyboard/mouse/trackpad.

This will correct many faults but not necessarily yours.

The SafeBoot runs routines that sometimes are neglected especially if you turn your Mac off at night when they normally run.

To do a Safe Boot, restart and before the first chime press and hold the 'Shift' key.

Wait until you see the Apple logo and the spinning gear appear, then let go.

It can take as long as 20 minutes to load, so please be patient.

When the login screen appears it will say in red on the login window 'SafeBoot'.

Now login and give it a few more minutes to finish loading.

Try doing whatever it was it was giving you the problem. If it works then probably the problem is solved, so restart normally.

If the problem persists then restart normally also, other fixes will need to be done.

Try that and let me know if it is working now or not, it should be fine. Please take your time, I am in no hurry.

Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did what you said, re-booted holding down those four keys, and IT WORKED!
Thank you ever so much. xxxxx
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Welcome, just remember that little thing, it can save talking to me.
I like it when things work.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Daniel. Now I need help with something else. I have macular degeneration (I am 75). I am not nearly blind, but do have trouble reading small print. Unfortunately, the print on my Mac us usually quite small: if you can see the printing above this note, that is the size that almost everything I type in comes out in, except this note, for some reason. can you tell me how to enlarge all the print on my screen to about a size 12 or 14 so I can read it. I've been trying to read an archived newspaper article about one of my ancestors from the 1800's but the print is so small I can't even read it with a magnifying glass and I'm terribly anxious to read it. Please help me if you can. Thanks so much, Jessie.
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Yes Jessie, this is usually easy to do.
Click in the window that has the text to focus the Mac on it.

Now press and hold the Command key (cloverleaf) and tap the + key.
This will enlarge the text in increments, to make it smaller (if it gets too big use Command and the - key.

I made the above bigger to make it easier.

Does that help?
Or you can change the screen resolution so that all is bigger and easier to see.
Open System Preferences, click on the gearbox in the dock. or,

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
I suggest setting one resolution lower than what it is now.

Let me know.