Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I have a 2011 macbook pro. The trackpad left click began behaving

I have a 2011 macbook pro. The trackpad left click began behaving erratically yesterday; I rebooted many times but the situation got progressively worse. I finally used the power off, then turned it on, and now cannot log on. The cursor moves, but there's no way to click. I've tried tab and various other keys, trying for "mouseless" log in, to no avail.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.

Try resetting the PRAM.

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need them in step 4.
3. Turn on the computer.
4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys before the gray screen appears.
5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts.
6. Release the keys.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
done.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Any change?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No. I have the login screen, but cannot click on my name.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok if you can't click you need to get a USB mouse to use so we can try some other things. Do you have one?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
just found an ancient MS one and plugged it in.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
OK First I need some information and I also want you to check some things that may or may not be affecting the situation :

Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

Then open Macintosh HD (your hard drive on the desktop usually), then go to Applications folder inside that is another folder called Utilities inside that is an application called Disk Utility. Double click on that and when it opens you will see your hard drive (usually Macintosh HD) on the left. Highlight your hard drive and click on Verify Disk on the far right. If that is OK click on Repair Permissions on the left. If Verify Disk is not OK try to Repair. If Repair is successful then Repair Permissions if it is not successful let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Max OSx version 10.7.2
processor 2.2 GHz Intel Core i&
memory 4GB 1333 MHz DDDR3

I've opened Disk Utility and there areXXXXXicons: the top one is "750.16 GB Hitachi HTSS...
and below it, in a "subfolder" position (if you see what I mean), is just "macintosh HD"
I just want to confirm that it is the latter that I should click.

By the way, this is a work computer. I have notified my IT dept of this problem, and they are ready to help first thing in the morning. I contacted you because I'm working on a high priority project this evening (of course!). If there's ANY danger of doing damage to the computer through the actions you suggest, I'll wait until morning since the lesser evil in this case is a late project than none...

Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
In that case restart and hold the Option key until you see your boot drives, then choose the Recovery HD, when it boots select the Disk Utility and Continue. Then select Macintosh HD on the left and first Verify Disk if that is OK Repair Permissions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sorry, could you specify exactly when to hold down the option key--the moment I get the first gray screen?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Right after you hear the startup chime.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
as soon as I clicked on the hard drive icon, it went to the login screen, so I logged in. Am I now to go to utilities again?
I'm sorry if I sound dumb, but I know almost nothing about macs (um, or ocmputers generally).
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
You were supposed to click on Recovery HD, did you see it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry... I just did.
Here is what I am seeing:

Repairing permissions for "macintosh HD"
Group differs on "library/Java"; should be 0, goup is 80.

[now it's me]
It says this will take 1 hour and 44 minutes. I am a little nervous. Should I just stop this and bring to my IT people in the morning?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
No that is normal it won't take that long was Verify Disk ok?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes it was. Much more text has come up, all in pattern "Permissions differ on..." and Repaired...
now says les than 1 minute.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok after quit that and restart.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I quit and restarted, tried to use the trackpad only to log in, and it still isn't working.
(The USB mouse does though, thankfully.)
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok with the mouse go to System Preferences / Trackpad and uncheck all the options there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
there are 3 separate areas--"point and click"; "scroll and zoom" and "more gestures"--uncheck everything in all 3?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Yes and change the tracking speed, just to see if it changes anything.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
well, I made the tracking speed faster and I think it is faster. But I still can't click with it.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok go back and check Tap to Click
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
AHA! it's now working!
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Great!!!
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
You will have to go back and check the other options you want to use in Trackpad, good luck.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So... which option will give back "left side of track pad click..." (and again, apologies it this is a dumb question
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Tap to click is the left click no matter where you click, it doesn't work like a mouse that "letft and right" thing. Secondary click if you check that is right click, click with two fingers anywhere, understand?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think I understand. I can see that the tap to click is indeed functioning, however the old system, whereby I pressed down on the left side of the track pad until I felt a physical click is apparently still not working.
I am certainly happy that I have a functioning computer, and am fine to work like this and bring it to my IT people tomorrow... is this what you are suggesting?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
A 2011 MacBook pro does not have that it is just one pad it is not going to do that
Mike, Mac Medic
Experience: Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.