Dustin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  4 Years in the US Military working with Mac's and networking equipment
19897260

I have set up a network on my airport extreme and have checked

Customer Question

I have set up a network on my airport extreme and have checked with Telus and all is responding as it should. I can download and watch movies through Netflicks, but when I purchase a movie from apple I am the streaming takes forever. I tried downloading TinTin yesterday afternoon and so far I still between 3 and 4 hours to go in that download. This afternoon I downloaded Descendants - It took 22 minutes and froze twice - I have 25t minutes left in the movie and it has now been telling me I have 1 minute left before I can play and has been telling me that for over an hour. When I test the network on apple tv it says its working fine. Help. I have the modem plugged in to the airport extreme, my network is working on my computer and my iPhone, If you would like to call me - XXX-XXX-XXXX
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Welcome To JustAnswer!

My name is Dustin, And I am one of the Experts who will assist you today!

What device of yours, the computer, or the iphone.. Is it that the apple movie downloads freeze on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is freezing up on my TV going through Apple TV. Computer and iPhone are fine
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Ok, so its only Apple TV thats having the issue with movie downloads from apple.. But netflix and other streaming programs are working fine on the apple tv?

Was your apple tv working fine previously and suddenly quit downloading as it should?

Or , is this the first time you have tried to set it up and use it to download videos?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just purchased Apple TV - received it in the mail last week. and had no problem installing it, but cannot get a full length movie to download. I thought it might have something to do with my modem, so I went out and purchased Airport extreme. I was on the phone with Telus techs today and they are seeing my signals just fine. Under preferences, I am showing 3 networks. The top of the order is the new WiFi network I just set up, under that is the Apple Network , and at the bottom is the previous network I had before I purchased Airport extreme. If I go to the 802.1x tab under network, it is blank and tells me I need to contact an administrator for more information. It is all greyed out - I cannot add to this page
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Thanks

Lets try to update your apple tv itself.. Heres how

1. Select Settings > General > Update Software. Apple TV checks to see if an update is available and a download message should appear if an update is available.
  2. Click Download and Install to start the download process (or Download Now on an Apple TV 1st generation with Apple TV software 1.x).

Important: Do not disconnect your Apple TV during the update process. The Apple TV status light may flash slowly during the update and restart process; this is expected behavior.

Once the update is completely finished.. Unplug the apple TV from power..

Wait one minute, plug it back in.. And then run the update again just to make sure it downloaded and installed the newest version.

if it is now up to date.. Try again to download a video.. Working better now?

You can get back to me on this same question, the same way you have been doing.. Just send me a reply.

Or..

Log into JustAnswer.com, then on the Top right, click on my questions

Then, click the "reply to expert" next to my face..

If my answer helped, please click one of the smiley faces to rate the solution, and then click the green accept button to accept the answer..

If my answer did not work, please wait to rate the answer and also wait to accept and instead send me a reply so that I can continue to assist you as needed.

Thanks! D.Sandlin

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
there is nothing to update I unplugged it and replugged it in. I ran test network and it is still working as before. I am running Lion
no success
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Question..

Did you run the steps from inside the apple TV to check for updates, or from your mac itself?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
from apple tv
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Excellent.. Though I was hoping it would indeed have an update to download..

Ok, lets test one more thing.. You mentioned the apple tv is connected to your wireless router..

DO you also have a standalone modem, that the wireless router is currnently connected to ?