CompExpert
CompExpert, Mac Specialist
Experience:  Apple Desktop/Laptops with 8 years exp. Apple Certified
63903440

What can you do with your ipod when it gets disabled from not

Customer Question

What can you do with your ipod when it gets disabled from not remembering a password?
Category: Mac
Expert:  CompExpert replied 2 years ago.

CompExpert :

hi,
enable to get your ipod back to working condition again, we need restore it

just follow these steps

1.Attach the ipod to the pc
2.Turn the ipod off
3.Press and hold power. Keep holding power. As soon as you see display on the screen of any sort press and hold home button.
4.Hold power and home together for *exactly* 10 seconds
5.Release power but keep holding home until the pc beeps as a USB device is recognized.
6.At no point will the display come on. Now your restore should work.

after that open itunes, if you done correctly, itunes should stated that your ipod is in recovery mode, asked if you want to restore

CompExpert :

click "yes" to restore

CompExpert :

after itunes finished

CompExpert :

your ipod should be back in working order again

CompExpert :

if it workout, please click accept. thank you

JACUSTOMER-rqbib555- :

please help this did not work...itunes needs to be updated on my computer

CompExpert :

go here ---->>> http://www.apple.com/itunes/

CompExpert :

install new itunes version

CompExpert :

and try the steps again to get your ipod in recovery mode

CompExpert :

here the steps again

CompExpert :

1.Attach the ipod to the pc
2.Turn the ipod off

JACUSTOMER-rqbib555- :

please help. who can help me now if she has stepped out of my chat?

CompExpert :

hi

CompExpert :

did you try to update itunes

CompExpert :

go here --->>> http://www.apple.com/itunes/

CompExpert :

download new itunes version and install it

CompExpert :

after finished install new itunes version

CompExpert :

reboot your computer

CompExpert :

after that try the same steps again

1.Attach the ipod to the pc
2.Turn the ipod off

click "yes" to restore

after itunes finished

JACUSTOMER-rqbib555- :

we got it on but we didn't see the restore button and it said ipod is still locked with a password and we can't remember it...

CompExpert :

please give another try
make sure you follow those steps correctly

1.Attach the ipod to the pc
2.Turn the ipod off

CompExpert :

it should work, i been helping more than 100 customer with same problem as your

CompExpert :

100/100 of them were able to make it work

JACUSTOMER-rqbib555- :

we followed every step we do not know what went wrong...

CompExpert :

first power off your ipod by holding top right button --->>> you will see the slider, slide the finger across to turn your ipod off

CompExpert :

after that hold the same buttton until you see a apple logo appear

CompExpert :

when you see the apple logo appear, continue to hold that button, and hold home button ( the round button in the middle)

CompExpert :

now hold both of them for 10 seconds

CompExpert :

after 10 seconds

CompExpert :

released the top right button

CompExpert :

but still holding the round button in the middle

CompExpert :

keep holding it until you see nothing on the screen of the ipod

CompExpert :

after that open itunes

CompExpert :

click yes when itunes asked to restore

CompExpert :

after finished restore

CompExpert :

you all done

CompExpert :

your ipod back in working order

JACUSTOMER-rqbib555- :

We are not able to get the ipod to turn back on so we can turn off and see the logo

CompExpert :

just hold both power and home button for 5 seconds

CompExpert :

your ipod should turn back on

JACUSTOMER-rqbib555- :

itunes came up but did not ask to restore...we could not find the word restore anywhere

CompExpert :

in itunes windows

CompExpert :

left side panel

CompExpert :

under the word "devices"

CompExpert :

did you see your ipod name there

CompExpert :

select that name

CompExpert :

it should open another page

CompExpert :

in the summary page, you will see the word restore

CompExpert :

but before you do all that, you need to put in ipod into recovery mode

those are the steps below

CompExpert :

1.Attach the ipod to the pc
2.Turn the ipod off

JACUSTOMER-rqbib555- :

We did everything and clicked restore but we got a page again that said IOS:Resolving Update and restore alert messages...we checked everything it said to check...we will try again tomorrow..can you help us or someone else with this same problem????

CompExpert :

okay closed itunes

CompExpert :

click start --->>> run

CompExpert :

then click enter

CompExpert :

after that another black windows pop up

CompExpert :

in there type dscacheutil -flushcache

CompExpert :

then hit enter

CompExpert :

sorry mistyped instead of dscacheutil -flushcache write this ipconfig /flushdns

CompExpert :

so after type ipconfig /flushdns hit enter

CompExpert :

after that open itunes again

CompExpert :

and do restore

Customer :

Trying again!!

Customer :

trying again.

Customer :

still not working....i don't understand your message above...click start>>>>run..where do we do that?

CompExpert :

type ipconfig /flushdns hit enter