Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

My Safari bookmarks were "washed" by mistake from my iMac but

My Safari bookmarks were "washed" by mistake from my iMac but are OK on my iPad. I have the latest OS and both computers are on iCloud.
Welcome To JustAnswer!

My name isXXXXX am one of the Experts who will assist you today!

DO you have and use time machine on your mac, to create periodic backups of your files?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

lets restore your bookmark file from your time machine backup

So i can provide as clear of instructions as possible.. Please let me know what version of mac osx you have.

10.4 10.5 10.6 10.7 .. Thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
First, we need to show all hidden files on your mac.. Heres how

Go to your finder, type in terminal .. Launch the terminal

then type in this

defaults write AppleShowAllFiles -bool true

hit enter.. then close the finder..

Now, i need y ou to navigate to your time machine backups.. And then inside of your time machine backup find this file

Drag or copy bookmarks.plist to your desktop background...

And then once you have done so.. Start safari, and then on the safari menu

click file, click import bookmarks.. Point it at the bookmarks.plist file we just copied to y our bookmarks, and you should be back in business!!

let me know if you get stuck, or run into any issues.. Thanks!

You can get back to me on this same question, the same way you have been doing.. Just send me a reply.

Log into, then on the Top right, click on my questions

Then, click the "reply to expert" next to my face..

If my answer helped, please click one of the smiley faces to rate the solution, and then click the green accept button to accept the answer..

If my answer did not work, please wait to rate the answer and also wait to accept and instead send me a reply so that I can continue to assist you as needed.

Thanks! D.Sandlin

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm looking at the Finder window. Where do I type anything?
in the small white box, once you click finder.. just type in terminal

then, click on the terminal application..

( if you still cant get it to load, let me know!)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm stuck. There is no Safari listed under Library.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Everything went fine until I got into Time Machine. I could find no Safari in Library.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Problem fixed! After locating Terminal in the Utilities folder and finding bookmarks.plist in Time machine your answer of 6:57 PM worked perfectly. Rich P.
Thank you for letting me know Rich.. My apologies for the delay in getting back to you, by the time you had responded last night, I was in bed asleep. Just logged in today and seen your message, and happy to hear the good news..

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm happy, what's next?
If you need further assistance, then I can provide it..

If you took advantage of our sucbscriber plan, I could run through helping you fix more problems, or programs, or anything you need help with ..

if you dont need any further assistance, Then I would like to thank you for working with me through this issue.

In the future if you need anything you can ask me specifically your questions at my profile link on Just Answer..

Make sure to ask the question through the box on my page, and also, Start it with For D.Sandlin Only