Dustin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  4 Years in the US Military working with Mac's and networking equipment
19897260

battery charged cant access anything but web site

Customer Question

Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Welcome To JustAnswer!

My name is Dustin, And I am one of the Experts who will assist you today!

What type of device is this, that you having issues with..

An ipad, An iphone, a laptop? Some other device?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a 120GB IPod
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Is this a new Ipod? Or is it an ipod you have previously been using and then suddenly developed this issue?

You say it will only go to a website.. what website.. the apple support and repair website?

Please provide as much detail as you can that Way i can better understand the issue your ipod is having..

Thanks!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've had the Ipod for a little over 2 years. i have been using this and have not had any problems until now. I have never dropped it or gotten it wet. the website it sent me to was the applesupport website
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Understood.

Question.. I can help repair this ( most likely) but my concern is your music and videos, etc.. On the ipod..

When is the last time you connected the ipod to your computer with itunes and synced your music? What im getting at is.. I the majority of your music also on itunes on your computer / mac..

Or is your ipod the only copy of the majority of your music?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
on ipod only. old computer had the back up, lost in fire. had 11,ooo songs on it
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Ouch,.

Ok.. Then i will try to stay away from an outright restore.

Another question.. your 120 gb ipod, do you know what generation it is?

Is it touchscreen, does it have a click wheel, is it the classic ipod?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
click wheel ? model # 1238
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Thanks.

Lets try these two steps.. But whatever you do, do NOT let itunes do a restore on the ipod..

Toggle the Hold switch on and off. (Slide it to Hold, then turn it off again.)

2. Press and hold the Menu and Center (Select) buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears, about 6 to 8 seconds. You may need to repeat this step.

Tip: If you are having difficulty resetting your iPod, set it on a flat surface. Make sure the finger pressing the Select button is not touching any part of the click wheel. Also make sure that you are pressing the Menu button toward the outside of the click wheel, and not near the center.

If the above steps did not work, try connecting iPod to a power adapter and plug the power adapter into an electrical outlet, or connect iPod to your computer. Make sure the computer is turned on and isn't set to go to sleep. Try resetting the iPod while it is connected to power.

Let me know if your able to reset the ipod successfully or not..

You can get back to me on this same question, the same way you have been doing.. Just send me a reply.

Or..

Log into JustAnswer.com, then on the Top right, click on my questions

Then, click the "reply to expert" next to my face..

If my answer helped, please click one of the smiley faces to rate the solution, and then click the green accept button to accept the answer..

If my answer did not work, please wait to rate the answer and also wait to accept and instead send me a reply so that I can continue to assist you as needed.

Thanks! D.Sandlin

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
tried several times . apple logo continues to revert to red X apple/support
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Thats not a good sign,.

did you try to do the reset with it connected to a usb cord?

And did you also try to do it without it connected to a usb cord?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes both ways

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes both ways.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
tried it with and without USBcord
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
tried it with and without USBcord.
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
I can help you restore the ipod, but this will erase your music.

if you want to save the data on the ipod itself, your going to have to get in contact with a website that offers ipod data recovery where you can mail it in, and then they recover the data for you.

Heres one such website.

http://www.datarecovery.com/ipodrecovery.asp