Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

RR-pc

Customer Question

I have a Mac that I never turn off and this morning it was off. I turned it on and it wouldn't go on. Just a bar near the bottom which took forever to cross and it would not finish a little speck at the end. I turned it off and again started it. Just a picture showing the underside of the mouse and another flat slanted panel with a roll at the right side. then a box with four things to do. Max OS X, Lion, Safari and the forth i can't remember. I'm am using my MacBook Pro to send this. Helllllllllp
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Select the Disk Utility and Continue. Then select Macintosh HD on the left and first Verify Disk if that is OK Repair Permissions.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Please go to the Apple logo on the upper left of the screen, go to About This Mac (DO NOT Select More Info), and tell me the Version (under Mac OS X), the Processor and the Memory, it is all right there.

then restart and hold the Option key until you see your boot drives, then choose the Recovery HD, when it boots select the Disk Utility and Continue. Then select Macintosh HD on the left and first Verify Disk if that is OK Repair Permissions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's the result as before. It looks like the disk is partitioned, but we didn't partitionthe disk. In the left box in Disk Utility/Repair the following shows:

500.11 GB WDC WD500...
diskOs2
Superdrive
______________________
disk 1
Mac OS X Base System

Highlighting the first unknown disk shows everything is okay in diagnosis
When highlighting the second disk Mac OS X Base System, the Verify Disk and Repair Disk buttons are greyed out and will not work.

We installed the latest software OS X software and it's an Intel processor and with a lot of memory. The apple icon doesn't bring up the About this Mac menu item, just "Startup Disk or Shut Down or Restart". When we select Start up disk, a dialog box comes up asking to select the system ...., but the box is blank
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Lion adds a hidden partition called Recovery HD that is what you are booted from, just ignore that Base System partition. So under 500.11 GB you don't see Macintosh HD just diskOs2?
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Still need help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That's right only disk 0s 2
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Ok when you select that can you Verify Disk and Repair Permissions?