Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.

Since downloading Lion onto my desktop I can no longer open

Customer Question

Since downloading Lion onto my desktop I can no longer open Safari.I downloaded Lion in order to get iCloud working with my I Phone.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

Ok, I see what you have. Safari has unexpectedly quit or something like.

Did you prepare for the Lion upgrade? I mean did you repair permissions, back it all up, run the UNIX routines, etc? Probably not, many don't because it isn't made clear to do so. Then things like this happen.

Not to worry though, it is all fixable except the backup part, that, if not done, can't be fixed.
This PDF explains how and why to repair permissions.

Repairing Permissions

I also recommend a SafeBoot, this is done the UNIX routines to clear cobwebs.

To do a Safe Boot, restart and before the first chime press and hold the 'Shift' key.

Wait until you see the Apple logo and the spinning gear appear, then let go.

It can take as long as 20 minutes to load, so please be patient.

When the login screen appears it will say in red on the login window 'SafeBoot'.

Now login and give it a few more minutes to finish loading.

Try doing whatever it was it was giving you the problem. If it works then probably the problem is solved, so restart normally.

If the problem persists then restart normally also, other fixes will need to be done.

Do those and see what happens, then get back to me please.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I repaired permissions and did the safeboot. Now I have no sound at all and Safari still does not work
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the screens did not look like the PDF I printed off to do the permissions repair.On the left I had HD- that is all. I clicked on repair permissions and let it finish. The safeboot in red did also not appear when I restarted and held the shift key down before the apple logo and gear appeared. My log in screen came up, I logged in and everything is really slow now. No sound/volume and no Safari ??
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Try it again, if you hold the Shift key down as soon as the screen turns black, keep it down until the Apple and gear appear.
You should see a progress bar along the bottom of the screen, if that happens it worked.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I repeated the permission repair as well as the softboot.
No change and my volume/sound is gone ?
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Your sound is most likely muted, check the volume control in the menu bar or look in System Preferences/Sound.
Make sure that the correct output is selected.

Then do this, it will need careful reading, take your time and follow it closely.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sound was back when I restarted it in the normal way. Was not muted I checked.
safari is still out of action.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Safari still not working yet. The sound was not the issue. Any other ideas. It seems that this has happened to other folks downloading Lion.
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
It has, the main reason is the machine was not prepared for the upgrade. You may have but this will still happen sometimes.

Locate and right click Safari in the Applications folder, choose Get Info and uncheck the box for 'Run in 32 bit mode', close the info window and see if that helps, if not see below.

This should help with Safari, seems there are plugins that worked in Snow Leopard that Lion does not like.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks. problem solved.
Expert:  Daniel replied 4 years ago.
Welcome, thank you.