Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

I have a MAC OS X version 10.6.8. It is supposed to be able

I have a MAC OS X version 10.6.8.
It is supposed to be able to download videos of all types including AVI but I am unable to do so. What is wrong?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Welcome To JustAnswer!

My name isXXXXX am one of the Experts who will assist you today!

What you need to do is download a plugin for your quicktime program. On the page below, please download and then install the Perian plugin, which should allow you to play avi files.

Once downloaded and installed., you will then be able to play avi files through your quicktime player..

If you run into any issues, please let me know

You can get back to me on this same question, the same way you have been doing.. Just send me a reply.

Log into, then on the Top right, click on my questions

Then, click the "reply to expert" next to my face..

If my answer helped, please click one of the smiley faces to rate the solution, and then click the green accept button to accept the answer..

If my answer did not work, please wait to rate the answer and also wait to accept and instead send me a reply so that I can continue to assist you as needed.

Thanks! D.Sandlin
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Downloaded the software you suggested Perian..but no change. Same message...The document “movie-2.avi” could not be opened. The movie is not in a format that QuickTime Player understands.
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Understood.. Question

When you downloaded perian.. Once it was downloaded, did you click it and install it from your download folders?

Did it show that it was installing?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok..install it where? to What. It is what?
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Once its downloaded.. You should see the file in your downloads folder.

You need to double click the file itself, the perian install file we just downloaded.. DOuble click it, and it should install for you.. ( showing that its installing)

If it doesnt show it installing when you double click the file we downloaded, let m eknow what happens instead.. Thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok..double clicked it and it installed. Still not allowing me download the AVI video.
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Ok. lets restart your mac for good measure.

Then open quicktime player, and then try to use the quicktime player to open the avi video..

Exactly what happens, and what does it say now?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I restarted. Clicked on the downloaded video and others I have been unable to open and NO LUCK. Same message. tried the unopened AVI, WMV and ASF files. All refuse to open. Message says The movie is not in a format that QuickTime Player understands.
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Ok, lets try to download and install an alternate player. VLC for mac

Once downloaded, install it.. And then run VLC player.. Using VLC.. can you play the AVI files now?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
GOT IT. Downloaded VLC and that covers ALL the videos I received in the past few months.
Thanks computer genius.
As you can see, I am a novice at 70 to all this ( give me canvas or put me in front of a camera and I am brilliant...but computers...BAH! This site and your expertise was a valuable tool. Worth the $58.
Victoria Carroll
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the kind words Victoria,

and for my own part I would like to say for a computer novice, you certainly moved right through the different steps we needed to take with surety and ease.. Well done..

It was a pleasure working with you Victoria, if you need anything in the future, please let me know.

Dustin Sandlin