CompExpert
CompExpert, Mac Specialist
Experience:  Apple Desktop/Laptops with 8 years exp. Apple Certified
63903440

Sound now missing from items in event window, imovie 08

Customer Question

Sound disappeared, missing from items in event window, iMovie '08. (7.1.4) (OS X 10.5.8) All other sound on iMac is ok. Sound ok in imovie projects window. All other functions ok in iMovie.  The problem developed out of nowhere and I cannot relate it to any install of software or system changes. Can you help? Thank you.
Category: Mac
Expert:  CompExpert replied 4 years ago.

CompExpert :

hi,
try to reset imovie preferences by

yourharddrive/[your user name]/Library/Preferences

in there find com.apple.iMovie8.plist move that file out to desktop.

reboot your computer and test the sound again

JACUSTOMER-ps672s4b- :

Hi, That did not work. Nothing changed. I made double sure I was moving the correct file from the correct folder. Rebooted the machine, booted iMovie, and it took awhile to come up, then opened up a greeting/ first time orientation window.

JACUSTOMER-ps672s4b- :

Thanks for trying. What else?

CompExpert :

com.apple.imovie8.plist and com.apple.iApps.plist

try to go back in /library/preferences folder and drag both files above to desktop

and reboot your computer and try again

JACUSTOMER-ps672s4b- :

Ok, I dragged both files to desktop.

JACUSTOMER-ps672s4b- :

Only 3 events are visible in the event window. In the project window, now the thumbnails for any video segments from the missing events show up as grey. The sound and video play for those segments and the entire project will play just fine. So, in the project window, the only thing weird is the thumbnails for the video segments appear grey.

JACUSTOMER-ps672s4b- :

How can I find where the missing events are? The 3 visible events function fine. The 3 that are visible appear to be random, one from 2008, 2011, and one from 2012. At least 100 events are missing.

CompExpert :

thats good that the sound are back.

CompExpert :
  • username/Movies/iMovie Events//Movies/iMovie Projects/
CompExpert :
  • username/Movies/iMovie Events/
  • username/Movies/iMovie Projects/
CompExpert :

go to those two locations

CompExpert :

and see if your data in there

CompExpert :

or you can download mackeeper

CompExpert :

http://mackeeper.zeobit.com/

CompExpert :

used file recovery in mackeeper

CompExpert :

and try to search for missing event

JACUSTOMER-ps672s4b- :

No, the sound is not 'back'. I never lost sound in Projects.

JACUSTOMER-ps672s4b- :

There are now only 3 events in username/Movies/iMovie Events/.

JACUSTOMER-ps672s4b- :

I will try mackeeper next.

CompExpert :

okay :)

JACUSTOMER-ps672s4b- :

Did not try mackeeper yet. I loaded new pictures and videos from camera via iPhoto and then started iMovie to look for the new video segments. This is what I have always done. In the left hand navigation area of event library I found all my other events by clicking iPhoto Videos. All events appear. Sound is still missing, even from brand new video segments. There are 3 other Events below iPhoto Videos that DO have sound. NONE of the video in iPhoto Videos have sound. So, the issue seems unique to iPhoto Videos within the Event library.

JACUSTOMER-ps672s4b- :

Thank you again for your persistence. What next?

Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Moderator, I am still waiting for an answer. Please see my last post. Thank you.
Sometimes, finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok.... thank you... I am still looking for an answer and will look forward to your response.
Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the Professional with the right expertise to come online. Feel free to let us know if you would like us to continue searching for a Professional or if you would like us to close your question. Thank you for your understanding!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I am still awaiting a response. Will you be able to help me with this??
Expert:  Rachel-Mod replied 4 years ago.

Please understand that it’s rare when we cannot find the right Professional. Nevertheless, because you are entitled to your money back with no questions asked, we will process your refund immediately, upon your request. Please accept our sincere apology. We hope you’ll think of us again when the need arises