Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience:  7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

iMac froze while posting several photos on FB. Tried a hard

Customer Question

iMac froze while posting several photos on FB. Tried a hard restart...still frozen on desktop
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hi My name isXXXXX hope i can help you.

How did you do the Hard Restart ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Unplugged
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Now what happens when you turn on yoru Mac ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still stuck on desktop with no ability to do anything
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Press and hold down the Power button until it turns off. Then turn it back on. Let me know if that didn't worked. Only click Accept after we solved the problem
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still no response
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
We can try some basic troubleshooting steps and see if that works or not.

Reset PRAM and NVRAM (Solution 1)
  1. Shut down your Mac
  2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
  3. Turn on the computer.
  4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
  5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for three times.
  6. Release the keys.

Restart in Safe mode
(Solution 2)
Make sure that the computer is shut down. Press the power button. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator. Let the Mac boot up...

Run Disk Utility in Single User Mode(Solution 3)
Turn your Mac off. Turn it back on and this time hold down the Command (Apple) key and the S keys at the same time. Then type the following command...

/sbin/fsck -fy (note the space between fsck and -fy)

If you can't run /sbin/fsck - fy then type only fsk - fy

Hit return and the disk utility should run and let it finish. When it finishes and there is no error, then type reboot and hit return. Let the Mac boot up. (Disk Utility will fix all system errors, bad preferences files etc)

Let me know if that didn't worked
Ashik, Mac Helper
Experience: 7+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tried each option. Still nothing
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
What version of Mac OS X are you using ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Unsure. The machine is about 3yrs old.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Do you have the Mac OS X installation discs ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
We need the discs to troubleshoot further. Is there anyway to get them ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Found the"osx install DVD"
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
What version is it ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
10.5.6
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
You can do a Archive and Install. Archive and Install will not remove any of your files,applications, settings etc. It just replaces the system files with new one.

Archive and Install : Read Instructions (click here)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Cannot get the "install Mac os x"icon to start the installation
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Put the disc 1 to your Mac and turn off your Mac. Turn it back on and immediately hold down C key on your Keyboard until it boots into the disc