Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

I am trying to open a PDF. I recently downloaded the new Lion

I am trying to open a PDF. I recently downloaded the new Lion operating system and important stuff is no longer working on my Mac. Right now I am getting a message "PowerPC is no longer supported" when I try to open a PDF document. Please help. I work from home at times and have an important document to open today.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

First, do not panic.
Lion has many changes to how it works from before, some applications that ran using Rosetta no longer work because Lion does not support Rosetta.
There is a long list of applications that will not work. You have two choices, stick with Lion and do some updating/upgrading of some applications or revert back to Snow Leopard.
Of the two upgrading is probably the better way to go as it will only continue and you will wind up doing that anyway.

As for PDFs you have built-in to Lion (and OS X before) an application called Preview, the icon looks like this.
graphic
It is in Applications. It does a very nice job (much faster than Acrobat) of reading PDFs, it is all I use for this. I create PDFs with Pages and TextEdit or I use the print to PDF.

You can make this default for opening PDFs if you like (I did).
To do that right click on any PDF and from that menu select Get Info...
graphic
Like that, then set the default application.
graphic
The popup menu where Preview is that is the app for PDFs, then make sure to check the box to make it default.

This works as well in Lion as Snow Leopard.
This is also something you should do, it will save headaches later.

Repairing Permissions

The above is a PDF and Preview will handle it nicely.

Does that help?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Your solution worked with this pdf issue. I have repaired permission as recommended . I thought this would impact other issues such as not being able to open a Numbers document created prior to the Lion download, and subsequent updates (except as a 'quick look') but it did not. Do you have any suggestions for that issue?
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
Lion should not have any effect on Numbers documents.
Unless you have an old version that isn't universal.
What version of iWork do you have, iWork started with Pages and Keynote, then they added Numbers but it should work in Lion.
What error does it give you, if any?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I attempt to open and get "The document 'Budget.numbers' cannot be opened" as a reply. I had tried different ways to open with including Numbers. app (default) (2.1), Numbers app (2.0.3), and archive utility app. I can do a "quick look" so find out what is in the document (my working budget) but have had to start a new document.
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
It is possible that the file is corrupted. Numbers has no problems otherwise?
If your Mac was not prepared to upgrade to Lion then this can happen also. Lion is a very different OS than what came before and many things that once worked now don't.
I am sure you have noticed that, do you have backup such as Time Machine?

Try this, it sometimes does the job (wish I could take credit for it).
add .zip to the end of the file (Budget.numbers.zip), then double click it. If it does what it should do you will get a new document of budget.numbers, now try opening it.

If you have a backup then recover that doc from that and try it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well, the .zip did not work. I can still view in "quick look" which will have to work for now. I am no longer using the document but do review as needed. Thank you for your help. I do have another question. Will it be necessary at some point to just buy a new laptop that uses the Lion operating system instead of the overlay on the old lap top? I bought my lap top in 2009 so it is not that old but I cannot use the 2009 laptop to upload to the iCloud.
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
If it will run Lion then it will do iCloud.
No need to replace it, this will show just how to do the setup.
Apple - iCloud - Learn how to set up iCloud on all your devices. Click on the device you want to setup and it will walk you through it, works every time.

That help?
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.