Sergio A.
Sergio A., Mac Specialist
Experience:  Over 10 years experience configuring and repairing Mac's.
45006406

Albums that play on Itunes will not play on my nano? If I

Albums that play on Itunes will not play on my nano? If I access the songs on the nano via Itunes they play?
Category: Mac
Expert:  replied 2 years ago.

Sergio A. :

Hi, my name is Sergio. Thanks for allowing me to help you. Do you have this problem with all songs, or just certain ones? What is the format of the songs in question? Thanks

Customer:

Usually an entire album. All have been copied from CD into computer. MPEG. The album covers don't come over so I can tell those are the albums that won't work. They look like they are going to play, and then they kick back to the menu.

Sergio A. :

OK, are you just doing a copy and paste from the CD or are you using some sort of ripping software?

Customer:

Audio Request. Familiar with. Music works fine on Request/ITunes and even when I play the file off the Nano file in Itunes. Only fails when you play it on the Nano.

Sergio A. :

OK, I am not familiar with AudioRequest, but let me do some research on potential issues. Has it ever worked?

Customer:

I have about 13,000 songs on it. Pretty sure that's not the problem. They are all loaded on Itunes and work fine. Don't have the problem except with Nano. I'm going to try to copy an album I'm having trouble with to my phone to see what happens.

Sergio A. :

Let’s try to use iTunes to import the music to your library and then synchronize it to your Nano. Follow these instructions to do so:

http://www.ehow.com/how_6513618_rip-cds-onto-ipod-nano.html

Customer:

loaded the album onto my phone and it works there too.

Sergio A. :

Please try the above method for the Nano. I am thinking that there is a format issue that is preventing it from working on the Nano

Customer:

I did 7-14 and same result. Did the same on the phone and it works fine. Only the Nano and only a handful of albums.

Sergio A. :

I assume the music that is already on the iPod works fine, but can you synchronize any music to it right now? What I'm trying to figure out if there is a pattern of albums, files, etc

Customer:

Yes. I deleted one of the albums that didn't work and added it to both the Nano and the Phone - and same result on Nano and works fine on the phone.

Sergio A. :

What about other songs that are not ripped from a CD?

Customer:

All my songs have been ripped from a CD - I've been buying CD's and then copying into Request which has a program which snces with Itunes and then I load into phone/nano from there.

Customer:

Unless you have seen this before, maybe I should delete all and start from scratch with a few of the problem albums to see if I can see a trend. I'll have to get back to you.

Sergio A. :

It's a thought, but I am thinking that there may be some aspect of the digital rights component of some albums that is not playing nicely with the Nano. If some albums work and others do not then this is most likely the case.

Customer:

Agree, but can't figure out why they work on everything except the nano?

Customer:

Added to phone after. I guess you are saying something that is specific to the nano.

Sergio A. :

Yes. I have seen this before. Not all music players are created equal, and some are more finicky than others when playing certain types of music. You can also try to rip the music to your computer and then using a utility to convert the format to a different one. Sometimes this gets around whatever the problem is with the particular file

Customer:

Sergio,I kept experimenting and I found a potential solution - there seems to be some type of corruption in those files. Even though they work everywhere except the nano, there must be something wrong. I deleted the albums from Itunes and then synced them with the Request and the files seem to be working.

Customer:

I'll go ahead an Accept. If you have any final thoughts, let me know.

Sergio A., Mac Specialist
Experience: Over 10 years experience configuring and repairing Mac's.