Sergio A.
Sergio A., Mac Specialist
Experience:  Over 10 years experience configuring and repairing Mac's.
45006406

I am having trouble with my Mail program. In order to receive

Customer Question

I am having trouble with my Mail program. In order to receive emails, I must force quit out of mail (just quitting will not work), and reopen. Then I will receive my emails. I can send emails anytime. This has been going on more than a few months. During that time period, the email started working on its own a couple of times for an hour or two. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Vicki McDonald
Category: Mac
Expert:  Sergio A. replied 2 years ago.

Sergio A. :

Hi, my name is Sergio. Thanks for allowing me to help you. I would first suggest removing and readding your email account. Let me know who your email provider is and I can provide you with instructions. Also, I assume you are using Mac Mail, correct?

Customer :

Hello Sergio. Not sure I know what you mean by email provider --is that the same as Internet provider? If so, then it's CenturyLink. And, yes, I am using Mac Mail.

Sergio A. :

Does your email address end in centurylink.com?

Customer :

No. My email goes through the company that maintains my Website, PromoNet Technologies, Inc.

Customer :

my email address ends in the name of my business qvdesign.com.

Sergio A. :

OK, do you know the server settings for this account? The incoming and outgoing server names and port numbers?

Customer :

incoming: mail.promonet.com; outgoing: XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Customer :

port number: 995 use ssl is checked

Sergio A. :

1. Open Apple Mail.
  1. Click ‘Mail,’ and select ‘Preferences…’
  1. Open the ‘Accounts’ tab, and click the plus sign (+) along the bottom to add a new account.
  2. Enter ‘mail.promonet.com ’ in the ‘Incoming Mail Server:’ field.
    Enter your account username in the ‘User Name:’ field.
    Enter your email password in the ‘Password:’ field.
  1. Select ‘Add Server…’ from the pop-up labeled ‘Outgoing Mail Server,’ and enter ‘the outgoing mail server you noted’ in the ‘Outgoing Mail Server:’ field.
  1. Check the box next to ‘Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL).’
    Select ‘Password’ next to ‘Authentication:’ and enter your Gmail username (including ‘@gmail.com) and Gmail password.
  1. Click ‘OK.’
  2. Click ‘Advanced’ and check the box next to ‘Use SSL.’ (The port changes to ’995.’)
  1. Open Apple Mail.
  2. Open the ‘Accounts’ tab, and click the plus sign (+) along the bottom to add a new account.
  3. Enter ‘pop.gmail.com’ in the ‘Incoming Mail Server:’ field.
    Enter your Gmail username (including ‘@gmail.com’) in the ‘User Name:’ field.
    Enter your Gmail password in the ‘Password:’ field.
  4. Select ‘Add Server…’ from the pop-up labeled ‘Outgoing Mail Server,’ and enter ‘smtp.gmail.com’ in the ‘Outgoing Mail Server:’ field.
  1. Enter ’587′ in the ‘Server port:’ field.
  2. Click ‘OK.’
  3. Click ‘Advanced’ and check the box next to ‘Use SSL.’ (The port changes to ’995.’)

Sergio A. :
  1. Open Apple Mail.
  2. Click ‘Mail,’ and select ‘Preferences…’
  3. Open the ‘Accounts’ tab, and click the plus sign (+) along the bottom to add a new account.
  4. Enter ‘mail.promonet.com ’ in the ‘Incoming Mail Server:’ field.
  5. Select ‘Add Server…’ from the pop-up labeled ‘Outgoing Mail Server,’ and enter ‘the outgoing mail server you noted’ in the ‘Outgoing Mail Server:’ field.
  6. Check the box next to ‘Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL).’
  7. Click ‘OK.’
  8. Click ‘Advanced’ and check the box next to ‘Use SSL.’ (The port changes to ’995.’)

Sergio A. :

Sorry about the numbering

Customer :

I get the following message after completing the first part of directions:

Customer :

The account XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX already has this hostname and username

Sergio A. :

OK, you need to go back into the settings and delete all of the accounts listed

Customer :

Can I be assured that in doing so I won't completely lose the ability to access my email. It seems everytime I start messing with setting, it creates bigger problems.

Sergio A. :

Do you have a way of accessing your email account online?

Customer :

yes

Sergio A. :

Test to make sure you can log in. If so, then we can safely remove it without a problem

Customer :

Yes, I was able to log in online. So, I should now go in and delete all accounts?

Sergio A. :

yes

Customer :

Everything has been deleted.

Sergio A. :

OK, now go back and readd your account

Customer :

I did and now all my emails are gone and I can seem to connect. I sent a test to myself and the sending icon has been spinning.

Sergio A. :

Are you getting any error messages?

Customer :

No

Sergio A. :

Try closing Mail and restarting your computer

Customer :

Just got an error message:

Customer :

Cannot send message using the server XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Sergio A. :

OK, the outgoing mail server is not correct

Sergio A. :

it should be something like smtp.promonet.com but I cannot be certain of what exactly it is.

Customer :

When I opened this account the company was Embarq. They changed to Century Link several years ago. I never had any trouble with my email until recently. Perhaps I should try using centurylink instead of embarq in the address?

Sergio A. :

Try these settings

• POP3 Incoming Server SSL: pop.centurylink.net, port 995 SSL required
  • 2. POP3 Incoming Server: pop.centurylink.net, port 110 no encryption
Customer :

I am now receiving mail but cannot sent out anything. It just times out and I get the error message cannot send message using the server XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX:mcdonald

Sergio A. :

The outgoing mail server is still not correct, it should not have an @ symbol in it. What incoming address are you using?

Customer :

mail.promonet.com

Sergio A. :

have you tried smtp.promonet.com?

Customer :

as the incoming?

Sergio A. :

outgoing. The incoming is working

Customer :

with what port

Sergio A. :

995

Sergio A. :

587 I mean

Sergio A. :

if that does not work then you can try 25 or 110

Customer :

Whatever number I enter in the port, this is the message I get.The server “smtp.promonet.com” cannot be contacted on port 25.

Sergio A. :

hm, ok, then lets try mail.promonet.com with each of the ports we tried

Customer :

Hello Sergio,

Customer :

I filled out an e-mail questionnaire that was sent shortly after our original attempt at solving this problem. Obviously, you we're cc'd on it. Basically, I told them I thought you seemed very knowledgeable, and were very helpful, and that I would be happy to use the service and you in the future, but that for this problem, you were unable to help. FYI, I spent about 10 additional hours on the phone or online with my service providers and spoke to a total of 5 different people before I finally found someone who was able to fix the problem--which turned out to be simply a matter of changing the settings in Mac Mail to accommodate the security changes they had made internally. There was no way you could have known this. I am glad to have found this service, however, and will use it again if I have a Mac problem. Thank you. Vicki

Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Expert:  Sergio A. replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. JA is having trouble with sending reply notifications. Anyway, I'm glad that you were able to get your problem solved.

Please bookmark my profile for all your future technology needs.

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-sergioa/

Thanks!

Sergio