Hello, My name is ***** ***** I am an expert with JustAnswer.com. Thank you so much for using our services. I do believe I can help you with your problem today. Please do not click the Accept button until you are satisfied with my help.
When you ran Disk utility did you do this with in the OSX or have you tried to use your Mac OSX disk that came with your computer?
No, I have Lion installed so I used the recovery partition (Hold cmd+r before the apple sign/chime)
And chose "disk utility" from the menu that appears
I am backing up my hard disk to an external drive, but I would prefer not to need to reinstall Lion. I will only reinstall lion if you can guarantee that my files will NOT be removed/wiped when I reinstall Lion, because it contains a lot of important information that is not backed up, as well as the inconvenience of needing to redownload/install large applications such as Xcode, Adobe Web Premium Suite and large games
JACUSTOMER-fe8onv5j- : I appreciate that this is not a great photo, but my camera finds it difficult to adjust properly to the screen. If you open this image in full screen, you should be able to read it.
JACUSTOMER-fe8onv5j- : http://db.tt/8E22ZA8g
JACUSTOMER-fe8onv5j- : Its the verbose mode output. You can see the problem at the top of the screen.
Oh, and if it helps, I have Ubuntu Linux live CDs if it will help. It can connect to the internet, download, install, run packages as root without making changes to the hard drive. I have tried using "TestDisk" from the LiveCD to fix it, but that hasn't done anything either.
Sorry I did not realize you made a response. I was not thinking of re installing Lion at the present time. I just would like to see you boot to the Mac osx disk and run the disk utility from there. Do a repair etc
I use this link to help fix most of my apple problems. Look down a little ways for the Disk Utility section. But this article explains most things that go on with Lion
JACUSTOMER-fe8onv5j- : This article did not really help. I cannot boot into OSX to run disk utility from there so I can only run it from the recovery partition (lions equivalent of the installation cd). I have tried repairing and fixing permissions using disk utility but it made no difference. I had also run fsck -fy and that doesn't help. It says "volume header needs minor repair", repairs it, and on the next run the disk appears healthy. However, after a reboot, it still says the header needs minor repair.
JACUSTOMER-fe8onv5j- : I believe I had this problem before witt snow leopard - when it booted, a progress bar appeared below the spinner, but got stuck at one point, but I never checked the problem. I just reinstalled snow leopard after (amazingly) compressing 250gb of data into 159.8Gb, just enough to fit on my 160gb external drive.
JACUSTOMER-fe8onv5j- : The last thing I remember doing was compiling a program in Xcode, then I opened something else which crashed. I tried to open it again, but all I saw was high CPU in activity monitor and no crash report window. There were two processes, "crashreporter" one owned by me and the other by root. They were using about 40% and the other was using about 60% CPU, so combined, they used about 100% constantly. I left it for a reasonable tile but they did not stop so I quit them. Within seconds, they were back and back using 100%, so I logged off. However, I saw a spinner when I logged off, which is strange because I wasnt shutting down. It was like that for 5 mins or so, so I got bored and turned if off with the power button for a hard reboot. But then, it just would not boot.