jstinehelfer
jstinehelfer, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  A+ Comptia Certified computer repair
63323962

ra-nl

Customer Question

So I tried changing my email address for iTunes and now I'm locked out and all my music is gone. How can I recover my account, Its not letting me log in.
Category: Mac
Expert:  jstinehelfer replied 2 years ago.

jstinehelfer :

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am an expert with JustAnswer.com. Thank you so much for using our services. I do believe I can help you with your problem today. Please do not click the Accept button until you are satisfied with my help.

jstinehelfer :

when you changed your apple account email address was an email sent to the knew email address so you could confirm?

jstinehelfer :

Usually an email is sent then you have to click on a link to verify the new address?

Customer :

The reason I was changing my email address was because I haven't used that email address in years and cant remember the password XXXXX didn't attach a alternate address.

jstinehelfer :

I wonder if it sent a confirmation to the old email account and you can not access it to give it permission to use the new email account

jstinehelfer :

have you tried to log in to your apple id with both email addresses as the username?

jstinehelfer :

just to see if you could get back in?

Customer :

I'm sure that's what the problem is. And yes I've tried

Customer :

should I call apple?

Customer :

and let them know what the situation is?

jstinehelfer :

sounds like we need to try to get in to the old email account and find the email so you can verify the change before you can get back in

jstinehelfer :

was you using yahoo? Hotmai? Gmail?

Customer :

How would I get into it? its a yahoo address

jstinehelfer :

Did you try to reset the password XXXXX the yahoo address?

Customer :

Yes I cant remember my password

jstinehelfer :

click that link and see if you can reset the password

Customer :

Its not letting me

jstinehelfer :

At this point then yes I would call the apple store support not the apple tech support and see if they can help you regain access to your apple account and all your purchased music. Once you have the apple id issue fixed you should be able to log in to your apple id in Itunes and gain access to all your stuff. Let me look up the number to call for you give me a moment

Customer :

Okay thanks

jstinehelfer :

Contact Apple Online Store Customer Service at (NNN) NNN-NNNN

jstinehelfer :

they should be able to help you gain access to your account and make sure your purchases go to the new email address

jstinehelfer :

Just let them know you changed your email associated with your apple Id because you can not gain access to your old email address

jstinehelfer :

Now you can not access your store purchases with the new email address

Customer :

What should I categorize the question as?

Customer :

they keep telling me to do it online

jstinehelfer :

go with you can not reach your store purchases

jstinehelfer :

did you call the phone number?

Customer :

Yes Ive called about 4 times now

Customer :

Its saying that all iTunes questions will have to be online

jstinehelfer :

1-800-MY-APPLE

Customer :

Thats the same thing

jstinehelfer :

it looked like a different number

Customer :

I'm just going to email iTunes directly

Customer :

it was a different number but it goes to the same answering machine

jstinehelfer :

http://support.apple.com/kb/HE40 Ok did you do this?

jstinehelfer :

lets troubleshoot your apple id problem and see if we can resolve it

jstinehelfer :

when you log in with your new apple id email what error does it give you

Customer :

I cant log in? Are you wanting me to create another account?

jstinehelfer :

no we dont want to loose your purchases

jstinehelfer :

what happens when you try to log in to your apple id?

jstinehelfer :

what error do you get?

Customer :

its saying wrong password

jstinehelfer :

click this link and try to reset it

Customer :

Wow Its saying that I'm typing in the wrong birthday now.....AHH

jstinehelfer :

hmm that is not good

jstinehelfer :

are you using the new email address or the old one?

Customer :

yeah...the old one

jstinehelfer :

what happens when you try to use the new email address will it take it?

Customer :

Hold on one second I think we may have got it

jstinehelfer :

that would be great news

jstinehelfer :

I will cross my fingers for you

Customer :

gotta go sorry time for church mom said I have to go....

jstinehelfer :

Ok save this in your favorites and come back when you have time