DaniBigApple
DaniBigApple, Mac Genius
Experience:  4+Years Apple Genius Experience Trainer in Apple core applications
66806038

I have an unknown user on my macbook. I am unable to drag it

Customer Question

I have an unknown user on my macbook. I am unable to drag it to my trash. Is this person hacking me. I had someone use our wireless password XXXXX use their laptop at my house. Could this be them and am I being hacked? HELP! Thank you so very much!
Category: Mac
Expert:  DaniBigApple replied 4 years ago.
Are you saying you have another user account on the machine? And would like to remove it? Or are you seeing another computer on your finder window?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I see another user as a guest from a pc. I have a macbook and the other night someone was at my house w/ their laptop and asked for our wireless password XXXXX access the internet so I'm thinking since I've heard he's an expert at certain things that he might be hacking into my laptop. Is this a possibility?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
are you there?
Are you seeing this on the finder window that looks like this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hold on, working on it....
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok I think I might be a bit challenged here but nothing comes up other than the shared user connected as a guest. When I click on Shared nothing comes up in that folder. Am I doing this correctly? And since I only have 5 questions, are all of these counting as one? Oy evay, this might take a while:-( When I click on the user a blurred box shows up with detailed info. about the user and that it is a pc so as I'm a mac laptop I thought this was an indication that this guy is still logged into our wireless network and since it's coming up on my laptop, possibly able to access my desktop and possible my fiance's work laptop? I've heard he knows a lot and is the type to do this sort of thing so I'm worried. Help! Thank you in advance for your help btw.
In any event its HIGHLY unlikely that they have hacked into your computer in anyway. They would need your computer password XXXXX even attempt to do anything. If it is showing another machine on the left on the window of the pic I sent you that means your computer can see them and you are able to share but even at that point it would need authentication. I recommend that you change your computer password XXXXX you are worried. I can assist you with that if you like just to be 100% sure. And we can turn off all sharing features to be super safe.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, thank you. Since I paid for 5 questions I am able to return to ask more if need be correct?
Yea thats fine just please make sure you hit accept please so I can get credit. Ill help you with whatever you need.
Turn off sharing features

1. Navigate to the Apple on the top left corner of the display, click that and then choose system preferences.

2.On the 3 row from the top you will see a feature called Sharing.

3.Uncheck anything that has sharing on then clock the lock on the bottom left corner
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I double checked and your screen of folders does look like mine w/ dropbox checked.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what about my security options?
Writing that up now the screen shots so that we can turn off sharing.
Turn off sharing features

2.On the 3rd row from the top you will see a feature called Sharing.
3.Uncheck anything that has sharing on then click the lock on the bottom left corner
Now here are the password XXXXX if you choose to change your computer password
Sorry it took a moment I was resizing the screen shots
Now here are the password XXXXX if you choose to change your computer password.

1. Apple>System Prefs
2. Choose user and groups on the 2nd row from the bottom on the left hand side.
3. Choose the user you would like to reset the password XXXXX then change password.

Now if the other machines show up its because they have THEIR sharing on and you can request to access it but will most likely wont gain access. All your sharing is now completely disabled you are safe. Ill be on for awhile if you need assistance with any other questions :D