MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

I am trying to reset my istore password. The date I give as

Customer Question

I am trying to reset my istore password. The date I give as my birthday apple is telling me is incorrect. When I chose to have help sent to my email address I get nothing although apple tells me it has sent the email. How can I reset my password XXXXX I can purchase from apple i store?
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 2 years ago.

MacTechTrainer :

Hello and thank you for asking your question, with JustAnswer.com/Mac. I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

MacTechTrainer :

So to make sure I understand,

MacTechTrainer :

are you saying you have already sent an email to iTunes Customer Support in order to try and resolve the password reset issue with your Apple ID?

MacTechTrainer :

Still with me?

Customer :

I am saying that when I follow the directions for resetting my password I am given two choices 1)answer personal question set up earlier, in this case give my birthday,which I did and was told it was not my birthday. Option 2) said to have info on changing my password sent to my email . I opted for this 5 times and was told 5 times that the info had been sent to my e mail address yet there have been no emails received from apple. When I called apple I was told that going on line for help would be free, what's up with that?

MacTechTrainer :

Thank you for the detailed information

Customer :

Am I being clear?

MacTechTrainer :

did you use this website from Apple, to attempt to reset your password for your Apple ID account:

MacTechTrainer :

My Apple ID

Customer :

I went through iTunes. I wanted to buy some stuff (obviously I don't often) and followed the prompts there

MacTechTrainer :

Ok while I am on with you, try this main page from Apple

MacTechTrainer :

the my Apple ID page will allow you to create, modify and reset Apple ID accounts and passwords for those accounts

MacTechTrainer :

sometimes, the iTunes authentication interface can be a bit challenging, I would have to admitt

Customer :

where is that page?

MacTechTrainer :

Click on the link above

MacTechTrainer :

My Apple ID

MacTechTrainer :

Or below rather

MacTechTrainer :

This webpage from Apple, is the main page for Apple ID accounts and iTunes store accounts

MacTechTrainer :

and from my experience, it works well

Customer :

This is where I was and it didn't work

MacTechTrainer :

Ok that is what I needed to know

Customer :

It is telling me my birthdate is incorrect

MacTechTrainer :

now in regards to the emails you sent was that through the iTunes Customer Support page?

MacTechTrainer :

If you did send an email through this page, you may have seen "iTunes Express Lane"

Customer :

Same page, the other choice is to get an email sent, as I said I have tried that 6 times now and do not get any email

MacTechTrainer :

I have communicated with iTunes Support before, and they usually respond between 4 hours up to 24 hours of a request

MacTechTrainer :

how long ago if I may ask, did you contact their support

Customer :

By phone, what do you mean? The message is that the e mail has been sent

MacTechTrainer :

I am speaking strictly in reference to the email

MacTechTrainer :

I am asking you this - only because I just needed some background on what you have already attempted since first having this issue

MacTechTrainer :

and I do not want to provide you recommendations for steps you have already tried

Customer :

I guess about 1 1/2 hr.ago. That makes no sense, i Tunes clearly says that an email has been (past tense) sent. Why wouldn't the person on the phone at Apple just say it might take a longer time than indicated?

MacTechTrainer :

That is actually a good question

MacTechTrainer :

I have been dealing with iTunes for over 6 years

MacTechTrainer :

and I have typically seen within a 24 hour turn around

MacTechTrainer :

from iTunes Customer Support

MacTechTrainer :

so with 6 emails already sent

MacTechTrainer :

there is no need to send more

MacTechTrainer :

What Apple hardware are you using? (iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch)

Customer :

What about the misinformation concerning my birthday? I am a pretty angry customer right now. I am on a MacBook Pro. If Apple had my birthday info correct I wouldn't be in this spot

MacTechTrainer :

THAT is not your fault

MacTechTrainer :

that is a server authentication issue

MacTechTrainer :

I have seen it too many times before

MacTechTrainer :

so do press your self over that

MacTechTrainer :

in cases like this, the only remedies that Apple gives us as Mac users

MacTechTrainer :

you have already do correctly

MacTechTrainer :

Sorry, I meant "so do not press your self over that"

MacTechTrainer :

in cases where password reset queries fail

MacTechTrainer :

typically iTunes Customer Support (of whom you have already sent emails to) will respond to you with steps they have taken to resolve the issue

MacTechTrainer :

such as perform a server-side (from their servers that is) reset of your account ID

MacTechTrainer :

so you can go in and reset your password without any hinderance

Customer :

I want to change it to correct info because I would like to use my iTunes account now. This is not on you, but the Apple phone "support" person said that using apple.com/support was my "free" option.

MacTechTrainer :

So to understand, when you contacted AppleCare, did you speak with a Macbook (Portables Support) technician?

MacTechTrainer :

I am asking, because I am familiar with their support directory, and just need to get an idea who you spoke with

Customer :

I got a woman who informed me I had 3 choices as it has been over 90 days since I bought my MacBook: 1) $250.00 for the anytime help (which I actually still have on my last MacBook that was never fixed and never , anyway...2)39.95 or so for a one time help option or on line here for free.

MacTechTrainer :

What?

MacTechTrainer :

Did you contact AppleCare at 800-275-2273?

MacTechTrainer :

I am not questioning you

MacTechTrainer :

I am looking at what you were told

MacTechTrainer :

and questioning those options

Customer :

Yes and the person who answered after 17 min of waiting told me what I just wrote to you as my options. She couldn't be bothered to tell me that it might take 24 hrs for the e mail. She disconnected me when I asked to change my birthday info with her or someone, that it is not my fault that Apple has it wrong, and because of that I can't just spend money with Apple

MacTechTrainer :

And when she answered your call, did she say she was from AppleCare?

MacTechTrainer :

Again I ask, because if you have not contacted the AppleCare Support line at 800-275-2273

MacTechTrainer :

then that is where you need to contact tomorrow -

MacTechTrainer :

I believe if I am not mistaken, the earlier support would be able to assist you better

MacTechTrainer :

Furthermore, I am also aware that iTunes Support also has Chat services available as well, just like we are doing here

MacTechTrainer :

Full Size Image

MacTechTrainer :

If you click the image above, you will see the page for either emailing or chatting (live) iTunes Customer Support

Customer :

So how do I get my birthday changed? How do I use ITunes now? O yes, I believe she did. She gave me her name and usually I write these things down, but I was having a bit of trouble understanding her and I think she took offense at my asking her to repeat herself. She was pretty unpleasant. I have contacted XXX-XXX-XXXX. So basically you can't help me? I'm not saying you have been unpleasant , I just don't understand.....what about changing incorrect information. I do not want to have to start over tomorrow and pay apple support. I am feeling totally ripped off here

MacTechTrainer :

Oh no

MacTechTrainer :

you will not have to pay Apple support

MacTechTrainer :

that is the first thing

MacTechTrainer :

Apple ID accounts are free and so is the support for them

MacTechTrainer :

it just so happens that you got a rep who did not know what she was doing

MacTechTrainer :

thereby adding to your frustration

MacTechTrainer :

What I am also noting, is that only the iTunes Customer Support- who you have emailed already will be the group who can resolve this issue

MacTechTrainer :

now that I understand what you experienced with that terrible phone call

MacTechTrainer :

I would not advocate you contacting them either, because they are only going to refer you to the same sources for these issues you have already been

Customer :

How do you get someone who will help? I had to pay to touch base with you.

MacTechTrainer :

Oh no, you have not paid yet- so no worries

MacTechTrainer :

you just have a deposit hold from your credit card

MacTechTrainer :

which is refundable I might add

MacTechTrainer :

Do not attempt phone support- this is what I am now going to recommend you don't do

MacTechTrainer :

because they are going to refer you to iTunes Customer Support as well

MacTechTrainer :

I also want to let you know, you are going to have to allow the iTunes Customer Support group to contact you

MacTechTrainer :

they are the server administrators for Apple ID and authentications for the iTunes Music store

MacTechTrainer :

so you have already done that

MacTechTrainer :

as far as changing your birthday

Customer :

How/who/where do I get my birthday info correct?

MacTechTrainer :

The group you have already emailed

MacTechTrainer :

you see in regards to your questions about who you contact, I have been working to explain - YOU already have

MacTechTrainer :

that group you emailed, is the group that Apple has in place to fix authentication issues like this

MacTechTrainer :

that is why I am advising against calling because AppleCare support really can't do anything about this

MacTechTrainer :

and calling them and then waiting to be connected is only going to increase your frustration and that is not

MacTechTrainer :

worth it to you

MacTechTrainer :

the iTunes Customer Support is the group who can fix the issue with your birthday info per your Apple ID account, is what I am saying

MacTechTrainer :

So at this time, as a Mac tech experienced with iTunes issues like this, my advise is for you to wait and allow the iTunes group to respond back to the one of 6 emails you have already sent to them

MacTechTrainer :

furthermore, if you decide to Accept my answer at any time in our correspondence, please understand, that is not the end of our session

MacTechTrainer :

in fact I am even more obligated to assist you if you still have recurring issues with this situation

MacTechTrainer :

all you need to do is bookmark this page in your web browser so you can simply

Customer :

ok, ok so I guess that's that. Nothing I can do for now. This has been very frustrating, moreso because any past issues I've hada have never been satisfactorily resolved. Thank you for your time and advice, no need to waste any more time if there's nothing to do but wait for an email

MacTechTrainer :

come back to this session and just send me a reply, update or supplement to your current question

MacTechTrainer :

I know it has

MacTechTrainer :

but remember what I noted

MacTechTrainer :

I will still be here, Terry, Sr. Mac Support Specialist

MacTechTrainer :

if you need to inquire further with me

MacTechTrainer :

until this issue is resolved

MacTechTrainer :

you ask for me, I will be alerted whether I am offline or not

Customer :

Thank you

MacTechTrainer :

a simply reply from you will post an alert to me that you are looking for me

MacTechTrainer :

That is what I am here for

MacTechTrainer :

I will be online tomorrow if you would like to communicate with me more

MacTechTrainer :

just remember to bookmark this page in your web browser

MacTechTrainer :

and you do not have to worry about paying for anything right now, because this is still and unresolved issue

Customer :

Good night

MacTechTrainer :

Thanks for contacting Justanswer.com

MacTechTrainer :

have a good evening.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have not received any word from apple support as of now. I am so disappointed in Apple and I know it doesn't matter one bit. I have NEVER had a satisfactory outcome to any of my MacBook Pro issues. What am I supposed to do here?