DaniBigApple
DaniBigApple, Mac Genius
Experience:  4+Years Apple Genius Experience Trainer in Apple core applications
66806038

I have a 2006 i-Mac with OSX-Tiger. I subscribe to g-mail,

I have a 2006 i-Mac with OSX-Tiger. I subscribe to g-mail, and I cannot receive e-mails in the inbox when I open "Mail" in the dock. I can still send e-mails, and do everything else, but not receive them. Even when I click on "Get Mail", the little pinwheel spins for about 2 seconds, and does not load the mail. I have no problem getting my mail by using a browser, going to g-mail, and signing in. The problem is not g-mail. Also, when I use the "Connection Doctor", it says that the connection is fine - both with the incoming and outgoing servers.

Nick
Have you completely removed the email account from the mail program? Your email will NOT be removed from gmail if you choose to do that
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No. I wouldn't even know how to do that. I am not a computer geek. I barely survive if everything is working correctly. I have transfered all of my inbox and sent folder e-mails to a "New Mailbox" on the hard drive, so, there is nothing showing in either.
Ok I will navigate you though it. I am writing instructions right now
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
O.K. thank you.
To remove account

1.Choose Mail > Preferences and click Accounts.

2.Select the account you want to remove.

3.Click the Delete (-) button.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
O.K., I have removed the account, as per your instructions.
Ok let follow step 1 to add gmail back into it, instead of the Delete (-) you may see a (+) or it may ask you to set up a new account all together. If so move forward with your email l and password. You will set it up as an IMAP. here are gmails settings. After setting up please let me know what happens :D

Incoming:
imap.gmail.com
Use SSL: Yes (if needed)
Port: 993 (if needed)

Outgoing:
smtp.gmail.com (use authentication)
Use Authentication: Yes

Please let me know if that works for you :D
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
After creating an imap.gmail.com account, and entering my username and password, as it was before, it said that the smtp server was not responding.
The SMTP server can be a pain to correct, believe it or not its the most common issue with apple mail. Are you able to see where you can edit or delete the SMTP servers only?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, not sure what you are talking about. By-the-way, The account was set up as a POP originally. You wanted to set it up as an IMAP. Does this make any difference?
IMAP is better because when you make a change in apple mail such as delete it reflects that when you check gmail via web. However if you prefer POP then set the account up as pop.gmail.com. Here are the instructions on cleaning out the old SMTP servers incase there is something wrong.

Mac OS X 10.4
1. In Mail, from the Mail menu, select Preferences

2. In the preferences window that appears, click the Accounts icon. 

3. Click the Account Information tab. 

4. On the right side of the window, near the bottom, from the "Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP):" pull-down menu, select Edit Server List.

5. In the Outgoing Servers window that appears, select the server(s) you wish to remove, and clickRemove Server. If you see a dialog box verifying whether you want to remove a server in use, clickYes to proceed with the removal, or No to cancel.

6. When you are finished removing servers, click Done.
So if I were you Id clean out all the old SMTP servers, remove the account again, close mail. Id then add the account again when you reopen mail and see what happens then.
Has anything different happend after following the instructions?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This is forcing me to set up an account first, and I cannot get to the place where I can select the Mail menu and "Preferences". Before the setup finishes, it says the the smtp server is not responding, and if I continue, I may not be able to receive mail.

I cannot remove the account, because it has not let me create one yet.
Ok continue to set up the account and so that you can get in there and delete all of them.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
O.K. I'll try.
ok Ill be here
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
O.K. I deleted the smtp servers.
Ok good. Now reenter your mail. You can choose either pop.gmail.com or imap.gmail.com whatever works best for your needs. And try again. I wont give up on you lol
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
By-the-way, the port that was previously used was 995, not 993. Should I use 993?
If you want to use pop enter settings
Incoming:
POP
pop.gmail.com
Use SSL: Yes
Port: 995

IMAP
imap.gmail.com
Use SSL: Yes
Port: 993

Outgoing:
smtp.gmail.com (use authentication)
Use Authentication: Yes
Port for SSL: 465 or 587
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well, I set it up as pop.gmail.com, port 995, and smtp.gmail.com, port 587, and tried to send myself an e-mail. It sent, and was seen in the sent folder, but was never received in the inbox - exactly the problem I have been having. There has been absolutely zero progress.
I am still troubleshooting, I know this can be frustrating. I have had many customers at the Apple store for quite some time in order to resolve these mail issues. Working on the next solution.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
O.K. What if we have to quit, because it's getting late. Is there a way to make contact at a later date and continue, or do we have to go through the night, if necessary, to resolve this issue now?
We can definitely schedule a time tomorrow to continue I am EST time. Whats a good time for you?
At this point I know its NOT a gmail issue and we need to look into the application itself.
I will be up early and will have my browser open and ready to help you :D
1