David Kirk
David Kirk, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  4+ yrs personal use experience, 2+ yrs Mac technical support experience, 13+ yrs desktop experience.

just purchased a lacie rugged 1/2 terrabyte.... I plugged

just purchased a lacie rugged 1/2 terrabyte.... I plugged it brand new into my PC and it immediated formatted itself for PC... I do not want this. I shoot, edit and store video on mac formatted drives. I use a PC with MacDrive 8 to review these mac drives. HOW DO I UNFORMATT THE NEW DRIVE AND FORMAT IT FOR MAC? I AM GETTING NO WHERE?
Category: Mac
Expert:  David Kirk replied 2 years ago.

David Kirk :

Welcome to Just Answer.

The simplest way would be to connect it to a Mac and run Disk Utility, located in Applications->Utilities. It will allow you to reformat it to "Mac OS Extended".

David Kirk :

"Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" should be the Volume Format option in Disk Utility.

Customer:

ok I will try this

Customer:

ok got to disk utility... what next? erase?

David Kirk :

Click on the Lacie drive and go to the Erase tab.

Customer:

ok there

David Kirk :

Make sure it shows "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" as the volume format, then click Erase.

David Kirk :

(The Erase button.)

Customer:

do i want time machine?

Customer:

dont answer... I don't

David Kirk :

Yeah, unless you're planning to use it with Time Machine only, you wouldn't want it.

Customer:

ok now what? is it done?

David Kirk :

If it finished, yes, it should be usable now. Go to Finder and make sure it shows up as an available drive.

Customer:

it shows on the desktop I will eject it and connect it to my PC and see if macdrive sees it

David Kirk :

Great.

Customer:

Thanks sorry for such a stupid question...

Customer:
David Kirk, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: 4+ yrs personal use experience, 2+ yrs Mac technical support experience, 13+ yrs desktop experience.