Dustin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  4 Years in the US Military working with Mac's and networking equipment
19897260

My ipad2 safari is running unbelievably slow (sometimes wont

Customer Question

My ipad2 safari is running unbelievably slow (sometimes won't even load a webpage) on 3G. Our iphone 3s and our iphone 4 and our original ipad are all working fine on 3G. Last week the local Apple store replaced the ipad. I restored it with the backup of my old ipad2. Same problem. This is crazy....this is the reason I bought the ipad....to access the internet.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Welcome To JustAnswer!

My name is Dustin, And I am one of the Experts who will assist you today!

Question.. You mentioned its running slow on 3g..

How about if you instead connect the ipad to your home wireless network, or any standard wireless network.

Does it still run safari slow when on a regular network ( not 3g ) ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It may be a little faster...hard to tell. We live in the country and have HughesNet satellite internet which is not very fast....the reason why we loved ipads
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Aha..

understood.. Ok.. And even out in the country, your other ipads and phones are running better then the ipad 2?

Question, is your 3g service on the ipad 2 the same service as your using on the iphone and ipad 1?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes..ATT.
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
And just to check, your running normal IOS software on the ipad 2, you havent jailbroke it..

Im sure you have tried steps such as clearing safaris cache and cookies, resetting safari.. And forced power off - power on procedures on the ipad to release the ram.

Question.. When you said you had restored it as a new device. Did you test it before you loaded the old ipad 2 backup?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes...we tried the things you mentioned. No...we didn't test it before restoring the old backup. We also didn't check the new ipad that Apple gave us before restoring the old backup to it,
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Ok, this could be an issue which came from the old backup of the ipad..

To rule that out.. The best thing to do would be to back up the ipad as it is now..

And then, restore it as a new device..

Then , before loading anything, test it as a new device, use safari, use 3g.. If its still running slow.. Though its highly improbably , if its still running slow as a new device and your other apple devices on the 3g network are not running slow, then you must have gotten two devices in a row that were defective.( or at least the 3g modules in them)

That may not happen though, It may be that when you restore it as a new device that it runs better then it was before.

We wont know which way the wind is blowing though, till we restore it..

This is our best bet at isolating the issue, because with all things being equal right now the only thing that can be identified is the old backup being the culprit.

Get back to me when you can, and we will continue as needed, if needed.

If this solution helped, Please click the green accept button to show I have assisted you. Also, please rate the solution...

If you still need assistance, You can reply to this message at any time.
If my answer helped, please make sure to If the solution worked, please click one of the smiley faces to rate the solution, and then click the green accept button to accept the answer..

If my answer did not work, please wait to rate the answer and also wait to accept and instead send me a reply so that I can continue to assist you as needed.

Thanks! D.Sandlin
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you mean that I need to connect the ipad yo our desktop and download the software again and then try the 3g internet before restoring with the backup?
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Close,

We need to restore the ipad as a brand new device..

Heres how

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4137

The page covers backing up your data.. To actually performing the reset as a new device.

Remember , once we clear it and set it up as a brand new device.. We dont want to restore any old backups.. Not untill we test it at least and see how safari and 3g internet is working on it..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for delay. Had to leave town. Unfortunately this did not fix the problem. Backed up iPad. Reset iPad as new device, everything was erased, like a new iPad. Did not do a restore. Tried Safari.....Safari still bogging down could not load web pages.
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Hmm.. That is unfortunate, but it does tell us something important.

The fault is not with your backup, or with any of t he apps you had loaded, or with the amount of data, music, videos, etc..

The fault, is with The ipad itself.. If its not working like it should when restored as a new device.. Then it cant work as it should period..

I do admit it seems unlikely you would get two Ipad2's in a row that had this issue.. But the facts are that neither one is working correctly, and theres nothing you have done on your end to cause that issue.

I would return the ipad. And when you get a new one, have them test it in t he store to make certain that safari is working as it should be.. Verify before you leave the store that its working..

And as long as its working at normal speed in the store, then you shouldnt have any issue whatsoever when you restore your previous back up of the ipad to the new one.