Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

My ipad2 safari is running slow

Customer Question

My ipad2 safari is running unbelievably slow (sometimes won't even load a webpage) on 3G. Our Iphone 3s and our Iphone 4 and our original Ipad are all working fine on 3G. Last week the local Apple store replaced the Ipad. I restored it with the backup of my old ipad2. It’s having the same problem. This is crazy this is the reason I bought the Ipad so I can access the internet.

Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.

Welcome To JustAnswer!
You mentioned its running slow on 3g.

How about if you connect the Ipad to your home wireless network. Or any standard wireless networks.

Does it still run safari slow when on a regular network (not 3g)?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It may be a little faster hard to tell. We live in the country and have Hughes Net satellite internet which is not very fast.

Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.

Even out in the country, your other Ipads and phones are running better then the Ipad 2?

Is your 3g service on the Ipad 2 the same service as your using on the Iphone and Ipad 1?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes it is and ATT.

Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.

Are you running normal IOS software on the Ipad 2? You haven’t jail broke it.

I’m sure you have tried steps such as clearing safaris cache and cookies, resetting safari. And forced power off - power on procedures on the Ipad to release the ram.

When you said you had restored it as a new device. Did you test it before you loaded the old Ipad 2 backup?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes...we tried the things you mentioned. No. We didn't test it before restoring the old backup. We also didn't check the new Ipad that Apple gave us before restoring the old backup to it,

Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.

This could be an issue which came from the old backup of the Ipad.

To rule that out the best thing to do would be to back up the Ipad as it is now.

And then, restore it as a new device.

Then, before loading anything, test it as a new device, use safari, use 3g. If it’s still running slow. Though its highly improbably, if it’s still running slow as a new device and your other apple devices on the 3g network are not running slow, then you must have gotten two devices in a row that were defective. (Or at least the 3g modules in them)

That may not happen though, it may be that when you restore it as a new device that it runs better then it was before.

We won’t know which way the wind is blowing though, till we restore it.

This is our best bet at isolating the issue, because with all things being equal right now the only thing that can be identified is the old backup being the culprit.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Do you mean that I need to connect the Ipad to our desktop and download the software again and then try the 3g internet before restoring with the backup?

Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.

We need to restore the Ipad as a brand new device.

Here’s how

This page covers backing up your data, To actually performing the reset as a new device.

Remember, once we clear it and set it up as a brand new device. We don’t want to restore any old backups. Not until we test it at least and see how safari and 3g internet is working on it.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Unfortunately this did not fix the problem. I backed up the IPad. Reset the IPad as new device, everything was erased, like a new IPad. It did not do a restore. I Tried Safari. Safari still bogging down could not load web pages.

Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.

The fault is not with your backup, or with any of t he apps you had loaded, or with the amount of data, music, videos, etc.

The fault is with the Ipad itself. If it’s not working like it should when restored as a new device. Then it can’t work as it should period.

I do admit it seems unlikely you would get two Ipad2's in a row that had this issue. But the facts are that neither one is working correctly, nor there’s nothing you have done on your end to cause that issue.

I would return the Ipad. And when you get a new one, have them test it in t he store to make certain that safari is working as it should be. Verify before you leave the store that it’s working.

And as long as it’s working at normal speed in the store, then you shouldn’t have any issue what so ever when you restore your previous back up of the Ipad to the new one.