Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

how do i turn off compatibility mode for older version. ( itunes.exe

Customer Question

how do i turn off compatibility mode for older version. ( itunes.exe ) I cannot play my songs
Category: Mac
Expert:  Viet - Mac Tech replied 2 years ago.

Viet - Mac Tech :

Viet - Mac Tech :

Is there any error message? Did you turn on compatibility mode previously?

Viet - Mac Tech :

Can you close iTunes program, then right-click on the iTunes file icon, then click on Properties, then click on the Compatiblity tab, then uncheck the box for Run this program in compatibility mode for; also uncheck any other boxes you see there if it's checked, then click OK, then open iTunes program and check.

Viet - Mac Tech :

Please let me know if there is still any issue. Thank you.

Customer :

when i click on itunes i get an error message saying itunes.exe is an older version & i need to turn off compatibility mode

Viet - Mac Tech :

Got it. Please close iTunes program, then right-click on the iTunes file icon, then click on Properties, then click on the Compatiblity tab, then uncheck the box for Run this program in compatibility mode for; also uncheck any other boxes you see there if it's checked, then click OK, then open iTunes program and check.

Customer :

will try

Viet - Mac Tech :

OK, you can try now; it is quick. (Don't close this chat window.)

Customer :

followed instructions. then opened uo itunes & tried to play a song. Error Message: original file could not be found - do want to locate

Viet - Mac Tech :

Is this a new error message?

Viet - Mac Tech :

Did you move your songs? Or remove an external USB hard drive?

Viet - Mac Tech :

Or the USB external hard drive letter got changed?

Viet - Mac Tech :

Was it working previously on this computer? Did you make any change to your computer recently that might have caused the issue?

Customer :

not an error message. songs are where they always have been. I can download from itunes & download to my ipod

Viet - Mac Tech :

In iTunes program, can you click on Edit menu on the top, then Preferences, then click on Advanced, then make sure the iTunes Media folder location is correct?

Customer :

will try

Viet - Mac Tech :

OK,

Customer :

how do I know folder location is correct

Viet - Mac Tech :

Open Start, Music, iTunes, etc. and confirm the folder

Viet - Mac Tech :

Do you know which folder your songs are located on your computer (or is it an another drive (not C: drive), like an external USB drive)?

Customer :

it says C:users\dtilghman\music\itunes\itunesmedia

Viet - Mac Tech :

OK, now click on Start, Music, iTunes, itunes media and confirm if all your song files are there.

Customer :

ok

Customer :

stupid question. where do i go to start etc........

Viet - Mac Tech :

That's okay. Start is the windows logo button at the bottom left of the screen.

Customer :

if I go one step more & hit music , it lists all my songs

Viet - Mac Tech :

Is it Start, Music and something else?

Customer :

i went to start,music,itunes,itunes media & then it listed automatically add to itunes,ipod games,musuc

Viet - Mac Tech :

, but it still does not work?

Customer :

& downloads

Customer :

no

Viet - Mac Tech :

Let's do this: close the iTunes program, then press & keep holding the key Shift on your keyboard, then open the iTunes program, then a menu will pop up, then release the Shift key, then click on Create Library..., then enter a name you want, then click on Save.
Then if needed, in iTunes, open your iTunes program, then click on File menu on the top, then Add folder to library, then open/browse to the Music, iTunes, then select the iTunes Media folder (but don't open it), and then click on Select Folder near the bottom right. Then check.

Customer :

it only list 15 items . In library I have 388 + songs

Viet - Mac Tech :

Do you remember where these songs are? What folder? Is it in an external USB hard drive? etc.?

Viet - Mac Tech :

Sorry, the issue is taking longer than expected, and I have to go off for now. Do you want me to open your question to other experts, or can we pick up this later (I can remote to your computer and check/fix this issue directly as needed)? You can bookmark this web page to get back to us any time.

Customer :

please fix

Viet - Mac Tech :

Let me open your question to other experts for now. I can help later if needed. Thank you.

Viet - Mac Tech :

Also, you can try my last suggestion for now. See you. Thank you.

Customer :

tried , no help?????????????????????????????

Customer :

i just tried what you told me & now I have lost all my almost 400 songs

Customer :

i better not be charged

Customer :

i figured it out thru itunes help. DO NOT BILL ME !!!!!! I WILL CANCEL !

Viet - Mac Tech :

All you have to do is importing them back.

Viet - Mac Tech :

Sorry, No problem, if you don't mind, how did you resolve the issue? Do you need help with any other computer issue?

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.